Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
Albany
Good Morning!

I am just back from a visit with my PALS (my father-in-law). He is almost completely locked in now but his breathing has yet to be measureably impacted.

I was talking with my mother-in-law and she said that he has had a couple of panic attacks where he believes that he cannot breathe. She has comforted him and talked him through these attacks but she is concerned that they are going to become more frequent and unmanageable as the disease progresses and he really does start to have breathing issues.

Up until now he has absolutely not wanted to consider being ventilated. Being that he is completely locked in, I believe that this is still his wish as he would not want to continue on in this state. But I believe the thought of what is to come without ventilation is understandably terrifying to him.

None of us can bear the thought of watching him panic and struggle to breathe for the rest of his days.

How should they handle this? Is there any way to ease his anguish? Is this a sign that they should bring hospice?

I hate this disease.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Pam

Just another bit of information. My father-in-law is already using a bi-pap machine at night.

Hi Pam

Sorry to hear about this.

How do you know he is having panic attacks as opposed to actually having trouble breathing?

I know at times I will all of a sudden start to have trouble breathing from the way I am positioned sitting down. Depending on which breathing muscles are affected- certain sitting or lying down positions will result in laboured breathing - while in other positions there is no problem.

To ease both you and your FIL's mind, they may want to invest in a finger oximeter. Costs about $150. It simply clips onto a finger and measures dissolved oxygen.

Although it won't tell you the whole story, it will give you a good idea if he is in fact having trouble breathing. And if he is having trouble breathing, maybe he should start using the bipap during the day for a few hours.

Good luck.

My MIL is an RN. She was with him when it was going on. She seemed pretty sure that he was actually breathing ok but it is possible that she was misinterpreting what she was seeing.

I will suggest to her that they get the finger oximeter.

Thank you.

Another great idea by rcharlton...if they do find it is a panic attack then I would check with the Dr to see if they can put him on zoloft or something similar in order to prevent the attacks. Good luck!

I am on a bi-pap at night, but typically for us oxygen getting in is not the problem it is getting the CO2 out and feeling short of breath because of weak diaphragm muscles. This can result in panic feelings and is very frightening especially if you can't move yourself. If he is having frequent headaches and nausea he will need to be on the bi-pap more often. There are medications to help panic and maybe ready for hospice to help.

Also do a search at the top of the page on "laryngospasms" These are short(up to a minute for my husband) episodes where he can not get a breath. If he breathes through his nose, they end quicker. There is also medicine available that is listed in the threads.

Also, is he on any anti-anxiety medication, or does he have any available for anxiety attacks?

This happens to my husband (also only on bipap at night). If I put him on bipap for a few minutes, it always goes away.

My husband has similar episodes. I give him an ativan and that helps. He isn't vented, doesnt plan on it...bipap does not help with hhis breathing episodes/anxiety...makes him even more claustrophobic.

Ativan works for me too.

AL.

I am oliviapitson from New York.I also heard about this problem from my friend. What is the symptoms of this panic attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back