Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Okay, I am an idiot when it comes to searching for information on this forum. I'm trying to find out the make and model of the machines you folks use. My husband needs one, and the pulmonologist suggested that I "talk" with you guys and find out what you have, and what you like. I did find an old post where Rose says the full face mask works best - makes sense. Can you all look at your machines and tell me your make and model and why you like or dislike it?

Thank you!

Missy, I have only ever heard of the one I use, the Phillips Respironics Cough Assist Mechanical Insufflator-Exsufflator. Do a search and you'll see it. I only use it on manual with my helper operating it while I hold the mask to my face and it works very well.

My husband does not have ALS, he has very severe COPD and a bunch of other serious diseases. He also weighs only 80 lbs at 5'7". It is very hard for him to cough so I got him a manual Respironics cough assist. I can tell you right now that I wish it was the automatic one. Right now he is in a rehab and it was really difficult for him to do it himself. It would have been much easier if he had just a button to push. My friend has a daughter who has Spinal Muscular Atrophy I, she is completely paralyzed. They also have an automatic and manual would never work for them. The automatic one is more expensive. Then there are people with ALS who use the manual one and they are fine. I wonder if there is a larger hospital near you that would have one and you could try it?

As far as I know, there is only one mask to use with the cough assist and there is only one mfrs machine.

Do you mean BiPap machines?

No, we have a respironics bipap machine. Do any of you have a portable bipap machine? Is there such a thing, or do you use a battery for the one you have?

No, we have a respironics bipap machine. Do any of you have a portable bipap machine? Is there such a thing, or do you use a battery for the one you have?

I wish there were such a thing as a portable BiPAP machine -- at a reasonable price (Yes, I've heard of the Trilogy machines. I've also heard about their price tag of $10K to $15K, US, as well. Too pricey for me.)

When we need battery power for my BiPAP, we have a couple of the Black & Decker Electromate 400 power stations that we bought at Walmart and Lowe's. I get about 4 hours of juice for my BiPAP (without humidifier) from each. They're rechargeable from either wall current or 12 volt sources (cigarette lighter in car) and have both 12 volt DC and 110 volt AC outlets.

I also use the Phillips Respironics Cough Assist Mechanical Insufflator-Exsufflator but since I have limited use of one arm and none in the other I use a hard mouth pc. (the one that comes in the nebulizer kit) I can hold it with my teeth. I use a trilogy vent 24/7 and its easier than having someone take the vent mask (nose pillow) off and then use the cough assist. I can do this myself and it gets the job done.

can people with traches and on a vent use a cough assist? could someone explain to me what it is exactly please. my PALS has never heard of this and i dont know what to tell him.

Liz, my RT told me that you can use a cough assist with a trache using an adapter. What the machine does is blow and suck, inflating the lungs with inhalation pressure and then rapidly switching to exhalation pressure to suck out secretions. I use it to clear mucous from my throat and bring it up to my mouth so I can suction it out.

Thanks Barry. Do you or anyone else know of anyone who used one who also had a trache?
did Joel? just curious how well it works for them.

Cough assist, suction machine, I am getting the impression that they are one in the same. Are they? Tom has phlegm issues and I am currently acquiring a suction machine, but I know cough will be next. Just wondering if I have covered both with one.

they are different. my pals has a suction machine.
the cough assist helps bring it up so you can then use the suction machine to suck it out.
gross- but a reality.

There are some Youtube videos of cough assist if you do a search for those wondering how/what they do

The other difference between the cough assist and the suction machine is that the suction machine costs about $300 and the cough assist costs about $7000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back