Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
CALIFORNIA
City
san diego
since my DX i have gone from a size 34 pants to a 36. i have read post from pals that keeping weight on after going just peg is hard? has anyone else have this happen with gainning then loseing

Have you been weighed? Are you actually gaining weight, or just waistline?

ALS belly doesn't come from weight gain, it comes from abdominal muscle weakness. The muscles that passively held your guts in a nice shape don't do it any more.

you know your right i was 192 now 188. but belly is much bigger. this really sucks be cause i now need to buy bigger pants or i need a girdle

We bought snap on buttons to add to his jeans and shorts. Gives you about an xtra inch or so. We got them at CVS in the "As seen on TV" section. They are metal, and hold up well in the wash.

athletic pants are nice because of the stretchable wasteband- same as sweats.

yeah... Glen wore a lot of athletic pants with elastic. Shorts the same way.

It's easy to find chinos with an elastic back. If you are in a wheelchair, no one can see the elastic. Looks like you dressed for the occassion.

AS usual you all come up with the best answers thanks pals and cals. a little side not to what i learn tread. i learn all of you are a great bunch of people with no other motive but to improve another's quality of life. much love 2 u all

Love right back to ya, Shon!

Thanks for the tip! During this last year of working, I had to stock up on elastic waist dress pants. The reason for this purchase was my inability to work zippers and buttons. I really thought I'd never wear them again when the job ended! It looks like they'll get a workout when als belly comes along. Just looking for the positive side!

I live in scrubs. I couldn't hold in my stomach anymore if my life depended on it. I'm losing weight (very little) but look fatter, sighhhhhh

I cheat with pants with buttons (which I can't button anymore) I get 'em big enough to just pull 'em up! love my Walmart stretch jeans that pull up over my hips :)

I am determined to loose some weight since I still have some muscles in my core. Got on the scale this morning after no food since yesterday and no weight loss...<sigh>

gotta hit the bike harder I guess.

Bad balance- im concerned as to why you feel you should lose weight? that usually isnt recommended for a PALS.
Also, its especially not healthy to do it by not eating. in fact, that puts you into starvation mode and then whenever you do eat, it gets stored as fat.

Another HUGE concern... when you try to lose weight by fasting or starving.. your body will conserve fat and instead use muscle for energy. That is certainly NOT a good idea for PALS. If you seriously want to lose some weight, talk to your neuro or maybe to a nutritionist who is knowledgable about ALS. Please don't put yourself at further risk!

Because I should weigh 185-195 and I weigh 232.

Since my diagnosis is for a slow progression, I want to feel more fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back