Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
US
State
NC
City
Wake Forest
We are trying to make a decision whether to continue my husband's chemotherapy for stage 4 kidney cancer or not. He has been on it since Nov last year. We are concerned about his quality of life due to him staying in bed and sleeping so much. The chemo is a daily pill he takes for 4 weeks and then has 2 weeks off and he does seem a lot more tired while on the chemo, but I can't be 100% sure how much can be contributed to chemo or coincidence.

So, please speak up if you know, are or have known an ALS patient who routinely sleeps for 15 hours a night and is overall in bed at least 3/4 of the rest of the day.

Our hospice doctor told me today the more rapid progressions seem to cause the patient to be more bed ridden and have more sleep. My husband is progressing quickly.

Such a tough decision to make....

I'm very sorry about your situation. With my husband having recently broken his collar bone, he is sleeping anywhere from 12 to 18 hours a day and then sitting in the recliner. I am hoping it is stress from the pain combined with drowsiness from the pain pills.

The stress of chemo must be tremendous on your husband, even a "healthy" individual would be stressed!

I can't imagine the pain YOU must be going through. Thinking of you during this time. I hope things get better before they get worse.

Les spends the majority of his time in bed. The way our house is set up, the bed is the most comfortable. He has his dog (Sadiemae) , a 60" HDTV, and a maid (ME) to wait on him. He does not like sleeping so much, in fact, accused me of doping him up so he does sleep all the time, which I do not do. ALS SUCKS!

Terry is in bed about 10 - 12 hours a day, sleeping about 8 - 10 hours total. He then transfers to his lift recliner for the rest of the day (unless we are going out). He probably sleeps 1/3 of the time he is in the chair, so I guess he is sleeping about 12 - 14 hours a day.

Like others my pals is in bed a lot. Now sleeps 10 hours straight at night minimum. Will get into her chair for 2 or 3 hours, then back on the bed. Naps a bit (more if we've been out) watches tv, listens to the radio. As she's been getting weaker she is spending more time in bed. I anticipate that will continue. All that said I remember when my father was on chemo. He'd be wiped out the weeks he was on especially the latter stages. He would often need more rest, not as much perhaps as my pals but marked all the same.

You have it so tough. My heart just goes out to you. I wish you both well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back