Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OK
City
Oklahoma City
My mom (a young 62) was diagnosed with ALS last month and she told me that she has Mobar? I couldnt find anything on this and ask her if she had the Bulbar. She insisted that it was called Mobar. SO I need some clarification. Here are the symptoms, It has surfaced in her Speech first, starting last November, her tongue quivers and now her face and chin are starting to droop. Can someone please clarify. The shock has wore off and now I want to know what the progression will be so I can help her in anyway.

Thanks in Advance.

Shawn

Sorry about your mom but she has bulbar type ALS. If you type that into the search bar you can finf lots of info. Welcome, hope we can help.

AL......

Thanks Al, I figured that was it but I am not going to argue with my momma.

oossuuu754 sorry to have to meet you on his site. and i agree with al i too started withh slured speech in sept 2010 and now i no longer can speak it just grunts and grones. this place as you will find out is the best place to go for help. welcome to the family

As Al & Shon say, it sounds like your mom has bulbar onset. Over time her speech will probably become more difficult for you to understand. Her swallow will likely also be progressively affected. I'm glad you are there for her. This disease can be scary at times but this forum is a real help. I hope you find yourself at home here. I live with my mum who is also a bulbar onset pals. Wishing you well.

Thanks for the encouragement and I wish all you the best as you deal with your individual struggles of ALS.

hi and welcome also .. sorry for what is happening to your mom

Sorry about your momma! Has she been evaluated by a speech language pathologist for a speech device. It takes a while to get them, so the sooner the better. Is she already on Medicare, as they will pay for the device?

I am really sorry. This is a horrible disease. I would sincerely recommend you getting a vmaxx with and eye max so she can communicate with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back