Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Masachusetts
City
Milton
Hello, I'm new to this blog and I'm seeking help for my brother. My brother was diagnosed with ALS in February 2010. He's struggling right now with sensitivity to smells like perfumes, smoke smell from outdoor fires etc. Once he's hit with these smells his breathing becomes difficult due to spasms in his larnyx. This goes on for hours with no relief. Does anyone have any advice as to how to stop the spasm once it starts. My heart goes out to all who have this horrible disease. Please any advise would be helpful. Thank you.

0.5 mg of Lorazepam under the tongue helps stop them.

Try breathing through your nose.

Thanks for the reply. So it's not actually swallowed? My brother fears taking any anxiety medicines for fear of falling asleep.

The Lorazepam dissolves. At 0.5 mg it is a low enough dosage that it doesn't make me sleepy at all. Give it a try. Worst case is it doesn't work and you're out $5 for the Rx.

You dissolve it under your tongue? Nobody told us about that!

CJ there are two different kinds of Ativan that can be prescribed. One is the regular kind that you swallow and the other is call Ativan sublingual which is tiny in size and dissolves easily under the tongue (there is a big vein under the tongue that readily absorbs the medication). You can ask the doctor for sublingual--as the pharmacist won't be able to substitute the regular for the sublingual.
Laurel

Soooo interesting...I remember my hubby being so upset when I would spray perfume or hairspray early on before diagnosis. Now.....it may be a symptom of ALS. PS....it was perfume my hubby bought for me so he like it.

I had a similar issue with my pnumonia breathing issues last month. I took Alprazolam for anxiety but it did make me sleepy. The resp. thearapist worked on a breathing technique 2 count in the nose hold for 1 and 2 count out of the mouth. It helps relaxe the spasms in the throat. I hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back