Diagnosis
7/2010
Country
US
State
NE
City
Omaha
I am curious to know if anyone else has had high calcium due to low or non-existent mobility? My mother's calcium level was up to 14 a few days ago and the doctor is now thinking it is due to the fact that she has been completely immobile for several months.

We've attempted physical therapy recently, however she is in too much pain for that to be an option any longer. Has anyone else experienced high calcium due to immobility? And if so, what was the level at?

Thanks.

Have your doctor check hear Vitanim D levels, if they are low then she may have a Parathyroid issue(hyperparathyroidism)
High calcium levels possibly toxic to motor neurones. Regards, Terry.

High calcium levels don't seem to be an issue with most patients. Low calcium is more prevalent.

AL.

High calcium levels don't seem to be an issue with most patients. Low calcium is more prevalent.

AL.

Okay, thank you.

Have any of you heard of high calcium being caused by immobility, perhaps by different conditions than ALS?

Someone else had mentioned that they found a connection between immobility with spinal cord injuries and high calcium?

Okay, thank you.

Have any of you heard of high calcium being caused by immobility, perhaps by different conditions than ALS?

Someone else had mentioned that they found a connection between immobility with spinal cord injuries and high calcium?

The person that mentioned that connection between spinal cord injury and high calcium levels was the person you were so rude to the other day. Do a search for immobility hypercalcemia -- there are literally thousands of references. I imagine you'll find something in that list that answers your questions.

The person that mentioned that connection between spinal cord injury and high calcium levels was the person you were so rude to the other day. Do a search for immobility hypercalcemia -- there are literally thousands of references. I imagine you'll find something in that list that answers your questions.

I see no need for you to be rude to me at the moment. That thread has been deleted, I apologized, and we've moved on.
Stop harassing me, please.

I did do research, I am asking specifically about the calcium levels of ALS patients, and how common this is with ALS. Thank you.

I think you're flogging a dead horse here. Calcium doesn't seem to be an issue here one way or the other. Not a lot of point in pushing the issue anyy further if there's no interest.

AL.

I think you're flogging a dead horse here. Calcium doesn't seem to be an issue here one way or the other. Not a lot of point in pushing the issue anyy further if there's no interest.

AL.

That is fine. I assumed more people would be interested in knowing that immobility may cause high calcium, but that's fine if they aren't.

I'm done with this forum anyway, I don't need to be harassed further.

I see no need for you to be rude to me at the moment. That thread has been deleted, I apologized, and we've moved on.
Stop harassing me, please.

I did do research, I am asking specifically about the calcium levels of ALS patients, and how common this is with ALS. Thank you.

I'm not being rude to you and I am not harassing you. I answered the question that you asked in the post of yours that I quoted. I gave you a specific search string that would give you thousands of Web references concerning high calcium levels (hypercalcemia) and patients with conditions that cause immobility. That was what you asked for and that's what I gave you.

If you don't want to be reminded of your previous ill-mannered behavior, might I suggest that you refrain from repeating it. Throwing out peevish accusations against people that were trying to help you is what derailed your other thread.

It's not our responsibility to spoonfeed you the answers you want in the manner most pleasing to you. Save the drama queen act for your peers, not for adults who are old enough to be your parents.

Feel free to have the last snarky word.

I'm not being rude to you and I am not harassing you. I answered the question that you asked in the post of yours that I quoted. I gave you a specific search string that would give you thousands of Web references concerning high calcium levels (hypercalcemia) and patients with conditions that cause immobility. That was what you asked for and that's what I gave you.

If you don't want to be reminded of your previous ill-mannered behavior, might I suggest that you refrain from repeating it. Throwing out peevish accusations against people that were trying to help you is what derailed your other thread.

It's not our responsibility to spoonfeed you the answers you want in the manner most pleasing to you. Save the drama queen act for your peers, not for adults who are old enough to be your parents.

Feel free to have the last snarky word.
I am not attempting to be "snarky", or rude. I am simply pointing out that I find your posts to be hurtful, when I feel I have done nothing wrong in this thread. I feel you are bringing up pointless drama as a self-pleasing act, which is uncalled for at this time.

Need I remind you that the previous situation was, quite frankly, none of your concern to begin with. I realize you felt you were defending a friend, but in turn you hurt the feelings of someone who was not attempting to cause drama to begin with. I say we agree to disagree, move on, and stop brining it up.

I attempted to start fresh by posting a new thread, drama aside, and work on helping my mother. I realize you have your own stress in your life, but by acting out towards me you are only hurting a fellow person with ALS who is in severe need of help and understanding right now.

I am the one posting as she is incapable of any movement herself, let alone handling a keyboard.

I highly suggest you look at your actions as well, and stop attempting to point out the wrong-doing of others. No one is perfect, certainly not you or I.

Can we please get over ourselves and work towards the more important goal, which is the gathering of information and help for ALS patients? I'd highly appreciate it, as would my mother.

Although, at this point I've found this forum (in my opinion) to be full of vengeful and judgmental people, and therefore I will not continue to bother you as I am clearly only another problem in your otherwise hectic life.

Feel free to make a few more childish "oh, poor baby" comments towards me. They're quite helpful.

Dear Harlequin, your questions are welcome and appreciated. You are not alone. It is very painful to watch a loved one suffer. My thoughts are with you.

Dear Harlequin, your questions are welcome and appreciated. You are not alone.

I sincerely thank you. I realize in a few of my posts have come across as "rude" to some, but truly I am doing my best to keep my calm amongst the near-death of my second parent. I also realize others are in stressful situations themselves, but I promise I only came across as "rude" or harsh because I was already feeling attacked.

We all need to agree to disagree..

I realize that some of you are not interested in the correlation between ALS and high calcium, but some may be. If you are not, then you do not need to post and can leave it to those who do find interest in further information on this matter.

Thank you.

Honestly, what sport is there in bullying a 22 year old with an aching heart?

Adults 'old enough to be her parent' should be capable of more than this.

Thank you. It's okay though, I think we can all move on from this now. I don't want to start any more arguments.

We are and we've moved on. You're the one stirring the pot now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back