Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
California
City
San Marcos
So Monday eve i'm transfering from my powerchair to my reg. chair via my walker, 3 steps do a 180 and i'm ''home'', problem is i only turned 90 lost my balance, fell back on the coffee table, bounced to the floor where i landed on my head.
So my mom who watches me had to call 911 , trip to the ER, subdural hemotoma and a 2 day stay.
Ok so begins another chapter in my ALS saga.

Oh dear you poor thing. Sounds very nasty. I hope you make a full recovery.
Aly

Oh I feel for you. I have had a few good falls and it hurts. Please be careful and stay safe.

Oh I feel for you. I have had a few good falls and it hurts. Please be careful and stay safe.

OUCH. Very sorry this has happened to you. Glad to hear your mom was right there and able to get you help right away.
Hope you never have to experience this again.

Sorry to hear this....
Falling out of control makes denial no longer a possibility. I have had a couple and that "watching a train wreck in progress" feeling is hard to take.

I hope you recover quickly.

Get better soon, falls are no fun and I feel for you. Good thing your mom was there for you.

Yikes...so sorry you had to go to the ER. That kind of fall is awful. I've done a head bounce, but lived though it without the hospital trip. Now, I hope you never have another bad fall....please.

I'm glad it all turned out ok for you! I read once, that coffee tables are the number one cause of head trauma for toddlers, and I would not have one it the house when my kids were small. So, if you think of your walking abilities as being at the toddler stage, and then scope out your rooms with that in mind, it might help protect for the next time.

I'm glad you seem to be okay now. That must have been frightening! Take care and let us know how you are doing during the aftermath.
Laurel

I've gone over that edge again, pretty much lost the ability to stand or walk even 2-3 steps.

Do you already have a (gulp) power chair, Pumpdoc? I hope you have one in place. I gained so much energy when I began to use mine. And, I could get out of it and stand/transfer for a long time.

Oh, sorry, just re-read your post.... transferring out of your power chair. Oh, I am sorry. Have you tried different footwear? I kept regular socks behind me in the power chair so I could "skate", and wore tacky soled socks so I wouldn't slip while transferring. It became rather complex doing the switching, but for me was worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your fall. Probably the trauma and stress has contributed to your weakness.

I'm doing similar transfers but gotten weaker in the last two weeks, with some close calls. Fran ordered a transfer belt so she could help steady me. It's a wide belt covered with handles. Just came this morning. We tried it on but it seemed like it might slide up and hit my PEG, ouch. We'll play with it some more, hopefully it will be useful.

Hal, Phil learned to put mine under my butt....so it didn't end up in my armpits.

I am so sorry about your fall. My prayers are with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back