Diagnosis
1/2009
Country
US
State
NC
City
Asheville
My husband is always hurting his toes by running into to walls and furniture. Does any one know if there is some kind of guard or device that can help keep him from hurting himself while he is in his power chair?

The easiest and cheapest?
Shoes.
Hard soled slippers.
Boots.

Liz's ideas are also what worked for me, and as I began with footdrop, the feet are very cold--I wear Uggs boots year round unless I'm on the deck and it's sunny and warm outside. No socks; only boots.

Steel toed work boots?

I hope that he finds some relief to this...I am sure that it is a common problem for all PALS as they progress into a wheelchair.

Thanks for the feedback. My husband has to wear tennis shoes to ease the pressure on his heals so the work boots are kinda out. Thanks for the advice.

Wool fleece is used to decrease skin breakdown (pressure sores), so any slipper lined with real fleece (or boot) will help his heels. I began having heel sores fairly early on and at that time (problem only from bed, I was still able to stand somewhat), used synthetic fleece heel cups in bed. Now I wear Uggs (sheepskin), sleep on wool fleece in bed and also have my wheelchair arms, seat and back covered with sheepfleece. It's less of a problem in the summer than you'd expect since wool wicks perspiration and "breathes". See the "Tips, Tricks, and Gadgets" area...source is found there if you're ever interested in trying it.

This is indeed a very common problem, whether in bed and unable to turn or in a chair---Bad Balance is right!

I stay in airconditioning during the heat of the summer---but do go out on the deck for some sun.

my feet are too swollen all the time to wear any boots or shoes. IF the y go on at the start of the day the feet go on swelling and the slightest seam nor stitch in the boot imprints itself anf it really hurts. Feet one of the worst problems

Ann,
I assume you have oversized uggs to get them on and off more easily? Do you have the pull-on type?
Randy

you know when'm in the housei found it to mush easier to run my chair on a low speed i dont run into walls as much

Randy, oversize would delight Phil, but no. My hands still worked fine when I began to wear them, and I learned a "trick" to putting my feet (which are floppy) into them and then pulling up the boots. Push the toe of the boot down as the foot goes in while pulling the sole of the boot toward the other foot.

Phil now can get them on me right after a shower, when it's most difficult--damp and swollen feet. I tilt back in my powerchair, which raises my leg. He pushes the boot on me while I push my knee down to keep my leg straight. Uggs are pretty wide and made with a deep instep--which is why I tried them first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back