For PALS in MA IPADS available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy for those PALS, but I really wish ALSA would fund a serious computer accessibility and AAC effort instead of being shills for the latest cute and trendy gadget on the market.

I agree, I believe our Nevada ALS association is actually working on something. I do not attend there meetings, but heard a few months ago, that they were working with Apple to get something. Will check into it.

I agree trfogey, actually I want to know what happens to all the money raised by the ALS associations around the world? I do not think for a minute they squander it but I feel the funds should be largely designated to tech gear for the patients, vehical's and equipment & financial help for whomever needs it, then any funds left over should go towards research, to help find a cure.

People need help faster than a cure will be found for now & special tech equipment is a MUST for patients, just my thoughts :0)

So is the consensus that the IPAD is the best computer to purchase for PALS? In the market for a new computer and want to be thinking ahead!

I have an IPAD and I don't consider it a fully functional computer. I like the IPAD and use it when I'm going to bed or when I'm traveling. But it doesn't support Adobe Flash which is huge, and the keypad is difficult to use for more than a couple sentences. Also, you can view documents and spreadsheets on the IPAD but you can't create them or modify them. I rely on my laptop for real computing needs.

-Tom

I agree with Tom about the ipad,

It just doesnt have the functions of a "real" computer, so i use either my desk top or lap top for spreadsheets etc.

cheers
Peter

I was told the ipad has a downloadable programe to help you speak, my husband will soon need something portable that helps speak for him, any suggestions?

So is the consensus that the IPAD is the best computer to purchase for PALS? In the market for a new computer and want to be thinking ahead!

Nope. It's too limited in design, functionality, and available software and peripheral hardware to be useful for a PALS's ever-changing needs.

I was told the ipad has a downloadable programe to help you speak, my husband will soon need something portable that helps speak for him, any suggestions?

Look around Joel's website or BarryG's posts on this site to see how they turned lightweight Windows netbooks into their main PALS computer.

Ty folks really appreciated, so many things we have looked at and so confusing, this will help a lot ((( hugs to you )))

Anyone tried PredictAble yet? It sure looks a hell of a lot better than the EZKeys my husband is using! (I should say "trying" to use.)

I have the smallest, thinest Apple laptop called the "Air". It is a fully functional laptop with a keyboard and keys that light up in dim light.

Unfortunaltely; most of the new software devices and attachment hardware suitable for us is PC based.

BB, many of the newer Apple laptops can run Window OS with a special setting. You might want to check if yours will so you can run Windows speech programs.

@ Barry I am laughing at my mindless brain cells, I just realized what your avatar is, hello earth to kim..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back