Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
Dixieland
City
XXXXXXXX
I need information for a PALS who's a 5'9" man. His arms, legs, and voice are all pretty much nonfunctional and awaiting he's placement into nursing home through Medicaid within the next couple of weeks. The social worker is waiting to get him in because he should be getting a DynaVox with eye-gaze shortly, and apparently Medicaid won't allow him to get any new equipment once he goes to the nursing home under their program. He's not a veteran, just on Medicare, no other insurance. He has a loaner generic power wheelchair (sorry, I don't know the name or model) from ALSA, which has a seat that won't raise up very far and isn't very useful.

Here's my question-- once he goes into the nursing home, will he ever be able to get the kind of power chair he needs? What kind of used chair could he buy quickly so that he has something more useful? What are the problems in trying to "get by" with a generic chair? I have seen a Quantum 6000 for a really great price, but his family, social worker, and friends all seem to think that any power wheelchair will work. Are they right?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for your replies!

I believe he needs the functions a rehab wheelchair like you're talking about can supply. With legs and arms already non functioning, he needs to be able to raise his legs, recline his back and also get into a deep tilt in order to keep pressure sores away (weight shifting) and swelling down, as well as keep him from falling out of the chair when being transferred. A chair that has controls in the back for an attendant would be very useful. Any old generic chair is bound to leave him miserable quickly if he spends much time in it.

But he also needs to be measured; the seat width and depth are important and so is the height of the chair's back. The back should be just above his shoulders. When he's seated, measure from under his knee leaving an inch at least "free", to the back of his body. At least, this is how I remember it being done for me. Anyone who knows differently or has better information, please feel free to add to this...

Finally, see the threads under this when you scroll down the page. You may learn more from them.

Best wishes--
Ann

With the team at the ALS clinic,do they tell you whats right for you and why?I go to Duke on the 22ond and ask them for a suggestion as to what I should be lookin at,if you search the web there are ups and downs with every chair,Im looking for the chair rated PERFECT.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL ON THIS ISSUE

Thanks Ann-- your response is very helpful. So a generic chair won't work for what he'll need and he should be measured. Then how do people know when they buy a previously-owned wheelchair if it will work for the new owner?

I wonder if the Quantum 6000 I saw for sale can be adjusted to fit this fairly normal sized man? would anyone know?

Unfortunately this PALS doesn't have the benefit any team or MDA Clinic. He just has a neurologist who sees him now every six months. (The pulmonologist is once a year-- yikes.) This PALS has no wife, no money and no family that cares/helps. I'm an old friend and his only advocate, but I can't do his daily hands-on care. I also have the name of his ALSA area rep.

Does anyone know if he could be allowed to swap his generic power chair for one with the 'ALS Package' so to speak-- once he's in a nursing home? If not, would it be advisable to delay his entry so he can go into a home with what he needs?

We modified my Quantum chair until it was comfortable for me. We got a different back and kept adjusting it. Then we got elevating leg rests and adjusted them as well. It is now extremely comfortable. It cost about $500.00 to get it all done. It was worth every penny! A ROHO cushion is an absolute necessity. I spend over 12 hours a day in in with no discomfort.

I think if you purchased that chair it could be adapted to make it work. Make sure it has a tilt feature, I think they all do, then I would not hesitate to purchase it. It is a very good chair.

I appreciate your words of wisdom and love you guys so much.

How much torque do these chairs have?

Is it possible to find a chair for outdoors that can operate on an incline greater than the ADA maximum 12% grade? I will be living on a sloping lot and will try to get some paths built to allow me to get around the property while I still can.

I think (am not certain) my chair, which does have the slow but powerful drive (three speeds plus one for more torque) does far better than a 12% grade. We live on a hill, and the chair can climb the driveway fine. My problem is off the driveway, driving on dirt paths. Look at the cover photo of the album called "Home" on my page. Although the photo was taken in snow, it was taken at the road end of the driveway. The driveway is only gravel, incidentally.

My rear wheel drive chair does very well outside on our acreage, going up slopes that I'm sure are greater than 12%. It handles gravel, grass and even some snow well and is very stable. The only problem is that as a rear wheel drive it is not as maneuverable indoors or in our van as I would like.

Please bear with me then. Am I understanding then, that the outdoor chairs are quite capable, but that they do not turn on a tight enough radius for indoors? Does this mean that two separate chairs are needed?

What about tilt and turn-over? It sounds like I should plan some flat areas at "switch-backs" to allow for stable turns.

So gravel can be negotiated in a chair also? That is good news since our driveway is gravel too.

Sorry Sandral....I guess I am hijacking your thead.

- Jerry

My PALS PWC is great indoors and out. But he did pay $22,000 for it. That doesnt count what he was charged to have someone put a "shelf" on it to hold his vent and another to hold his battery.
I hope you all can find one a heck of alot cheaper than that!

My my...that is like buying a car.

My question is,if you use the chair out doors,and I will want to do that,how do you wash the wheels when you come into the house,MY RUGS HAVE TO BE SPOTLESS.
Best wishes to all----Ken

Ken, good luck with the spotless rugs. We have hardwood and I just do a few turns on the concrete sidewalk to get most of the dirt off and then park on a towel for a bit when I come in. But if its really muddy and wet out I don't go out because of the problem of cleaning. I do have a covered porch so can get out even if its raining, and I can go down my sidewalk to my van without having to go on the gravel.

Have you who are researching seen the threads at the very bottom of this page? Might get more information in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back