Diagnosis
07/2010
Country
Uni
State
TX
City
Rio Grande City
I am newly diagnosed and wanted to know what kind of physical therapy are others doing if any?
I know that we should not overdo but just wanted to know how others are exercising. Is anyone doing pool therapy?

Do learn as much as you can about "Range of Motion" exercises. That and gentle stretching are so important. I haven't ever done pool therapy.
Ann

There were a couple of people in our support group doing pool therapy and loved it. It's a great place to do range of motion. Keeping the shoulders from locking up for as long as possible is good. Make sure you have a therapist that has experience with ALS.

Thanks All... I was doing pool therapy and miss it so much. It helped keep my muscles toned. I had to stop because the pool did not have a lift. I hope I can start again. I seem to be getting weaker faster since I stopped. My therapist is showing me stretches..

Don't know about where you are but I know our local Y has a lift for their pool... might want to check around and see if you can find a place. Might also contact your local ALSA office... they might know of a place.

It's difficult to explain. Physical therapy has its place for someone who is trying to rebuild. If you have ALS there is no rebuilding, just depleating of the strength and muscles. You want to preserve them. Repetitive motion wouldn't be good, especially if you were to push
yourself past being completely comfortable with the exercise. If you can get in the pool, stay safe, and enjoy paddling around easily, and gently, then by all means... but don't expect improvement. If you tire, please don't do that much next time. One of the most prominent symptoms of ALS is you lose performance and don't get it back. Trying can speed weakness. I am so sorry to have to pop your bubble.

Hi Schavez,
My pals got a lot from pool therapy. First of all sheer enjoyment. She has always loved the water and was once an expert swimmer. She received her acqua therapy at our local hospice in the hands of a trained pool pt, so the exercises as I understand it, were aimed at keeping motion fluid for as long as possible and easing pain. At first they concentrated on the legs, so at one point when she couldn't stand unassisted on land, she could do so in the water. As she became more immobile in her legs the focus shifted to the arms and chest. Now sadly the therapy has stopped. Various reasons: even with a pool hoist they can't get her in - would have to use a bed, but she can't lie flat, her vital capacity is judged to be too low to be in the water safely and finally, there is just little useful therapy that can now be done for her in the pool. We continue with the range of motion exercises on land. They are gentle and help to prevent total lock down of muscles.

I agree with what has been said by others. Acqua therapy needs to be done safely and with someone who knows about ALS, but in the hands of a good therapist this can be a great tool.

My hubby goes for one day of stretching and two days of pool therapy. The pool is a lifesaver for us! I really believe that it has allowed me to transfer him for so long. He started out walking in the pool...unfortunately, now he is one on one with a therapist! He does not mind because she is a cutie! He loves getting out of his chair...and the therapist is able to get him into a standing position. It is great physically and emotionally!

It's difficult to explain. Physical therapy has its place for someone who is trying to rebuild. If you have ALS there is no rebuilding, just depleating of the strength and muscles. You want to preserve them. Repetitive motion wouldn't be good, especially if you were to push
yourself past being completely comfortable with the exercise. If you can get in the pool, stay safe, and enjoy paddling around easily, and gently, then by all means... but don't expect improvement. If you tire, please don't do that much next time. One of the most prominent symptoms of ALS is you lose performance and don't get it back. Trying can speed weakness. I am so sorry to have to pop your bubble.

I can't emphasize this enough. Range of motion is great, and pool therapy is good too, as long as you keep in mind what Marjorie has stated. My husband is direct proof that repetitive motion can be a muscle killer. He is still able to work, but I fear (for his mental state) not much longer. He had a day where his right arm quit working all together after 5 hours of repetitive motion (not even any weight to bear). The next day it was working again, but with dramaticly less strength, and it has not gotten better.

Thanks all this really helps. I live in a remote area andd the PT's don't really understand ALS.. This helps me give them guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back