Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Anaheim
I wear knee-length tube (Gold Toe) socks to keep my AFOs from rubbing directly on my shins. My hands are getting to the point where pulling my socks on is quite a challenge. Thumbs and fingers just aren't strong enough!

I see the Sammons Preston web site has several different styles of "Sock and Stocking Aids" listed. Some look interesting but I wonder what is working for all of you. Does anyone have a recommendation of a particular kind of device to help pull socks up?

-Tom

I bought but never used one of the sock aids. I'd been wearing TEDS, which are very difficult to get on. My solution was to quit socks entirely and to wear UGGS boots on my frozen feet all day. I elevate a lot, they stay less swollen by far and rarely feel cold. And that, I realize, doesn't answer your question. I hope it helps someone...

Ditto on the sockless route, but then again I live in SO. Cal so I don't have to worry about frozen feet.

I tried one of the sock devises but my laft hand is to weak to even use it, so either I wear none or someone else has to do it for me.

We found that in order to use any of the suggested devices hand dexterity needs to be good. No use for my partner what so ever, as his is hand/arm onset. I put his socks on. D

Tom -

please let me know if you try one and how it works. I am having the same problem.

Dan

Yup... once the hand strength goes, those sock aids can't be used by yourself.

Check your ALS Association loan closet first, as they often have those available. One thing that they suggested was to have a helper put your socks on the aid for you before they leave or whatever. This is where having two of them would be handy.

I didn't find them to be all that helpful to tell you the truth... but the ones that have a terrycloth type of cover seem to work slightly better so as to have a little more friction to keep the sock on as you pull it up your calf. The ones that are just smooth plastic had a tendency to slip off before the sock was all the way on.

But I gave up on them entirely after just a few days of trying... just could never get them on good enough.

I took a look at sock dressing aids back when my shoulders were becoming toast. I had limited range of motion in my shoulders and arms but my hand strength was not diminished. These aids would have come in good use back then. As it was, I put my socks on standing in front of a chair with one foot at a time resting on the seat. By bending my torso enough, I was able to get my hands close enough to my feet. My only problem was when spasticity hit me hard in the hip. Then, it took a while! The right foot is still a challenge.

Dan,

I checked with ALSA loan closet and they had a couple kinds to choose from. I brought them both home but like others have said they turned out to be pretty useless and I returned them. You have to first put the sock on the "Sock Assist" device, which was just as difficult as putting them on my feet due to my stupid hands. Now if my problem was range-of-motion that may have been a different story.

I'm hoping for an early summer here so I can just stop wearing socks altogether!

-Tom

For me it is lifting my individual legs enough to slip into underwear.....<sigh>

Kilt time, Jerry...

I've had my challenges with skivvy donning at times when spasticity ran rampant.

I wear slip on shoes and slippers or I have someone else put socks on for me. My feet get very cold so I have to keep them covered.

I have an aide, a neighbor, who walks my dog first, then puts my socks on and pulls my pants up, and fixes my turtleneck and sweatshirt. Then I'm good to go, unless I pee all over myself or dump my breakfast and lunch all over it. Every day is a struggle, but sometimes it's funny too. Having an aide put my socks on is just the best.I've tried those plastic pullers, but I never had any luck with them. Good luck, Carol.

Tom -

thanks. I found a wonderful sock aid...my 8 year old daugter. It's ironic, just 6 or 7 years ago I was putting her socks on!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back