Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Hi Ya'll,

I joined this forum back in 2009 when mom was diagnosed with bulbar onset. Well, 1.5 years later, her time is close. I know it. She has had episodes of difficulty breathing and now have come down to only (very minimal) use of her right hand. As the disease kills you by collapsing your lungs so you cannot breath, I think it's close. She had a few episodes where she's short of breath and now is on the bipap machine day and night...

anyway, long story short, her time is coming up pretty soon. I want to have an obituary ready for her so that is one less thing we worry about. Will you please provide me some of your obituaries in the past or some you have come across for people with ALS that would be a good starting point?

Thanks again for all of your help.

______

EDIT:

I also have the question of...even though she's on the BiPap, I am assuming as it is not a ventilator, that if her lungs give out, they give out and she passes away? We are not looking at prolonging her life for the sake or prolonging her life, as she is very uncomfortable and unable to have really any movements. We want her to go when it is her time...

Last edited:
Have you been in any contact with any funeral homes yet? They might be able to give you a template or some examples. Ours provided me with a rough draft that I "tweaked" from there.

Many newspapers also provide online templates for you to fill in. Regarding the Bipap, some will continue to push air in
when she cannot breathe, ask her MD what to do
blessings, Pat

Julez, especially when quality of life means more than quantity, it is completely your prerogative to use things like BiPAP (you are right -- it's not a ventilator, so it prolongs life to a lesser extent) in a way that best meets your mom's needs. If the machine is regulating her breathing rate (e.g. on ST mode), she might or might not be more comfortable with the regular mode. I would try each way and see how she responds, and be prepared to do some tinkering down the road. Morphine and other drugs, coupled with being surrounded by her loved ones, hearing her favorite music, sensing her favorite scent, etc. can all help her feel less hungry for air and more at peace.

Obits: Google ALS obituaries and you'll find published examples.

If you aren't being served by a hospice, you can call one any time. Their nurses can better see how your mom is, and try different things to help, that focus on her comfort. I hope your family's journey is a peaceful one. We are from Houston also.

--Laurie

i would go to the in memory of form and look thur theresome will have thier links in them hope you find what you are looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back