Reason
Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
Sask
City
The land of living skies
My moms 3 month appointment is coming up after her diagnosis in Oct 2010. She is too see a woman to assess her first, I am assuming this is to note changes and progressions, then we are to meet her dr at the ALS clinic. We were not given a whole lot of info at diagnosis (we were given the binder which somedays takes a lot of emotional stength to open), I have come across most of my info either by my lovely friend google or through this forum. Any suggestions on questions to ask the doctor? Am also wondering about physical therapy, ot, speech, ect, should this have already been set up and thru who? Maybe this appt would be a good time to ask.

Limb onset diagnosis Oct 2010
Has some movement left in arms (somedays better than others)
Can still chew and swallow with no problems
Speech affected somewhat (moreso when tired)

The most FRUSTRATING thing is not knowing, and I know no one can answer my questions all the time and it frustrates, and prolly even more so scares me beyond belief. I aplogise in advance if I am rambling, I find when Im posting on these boards, often there is so much I want to get out, sorry in advance if I make utterly no sense at all! Some days we just muddle thru!

Ask about voice banking. Is your mom on Rilutek.. if not, might want to ask about it. It only slows progression so it's one of those sooner, the better thing. yup, asking about physical and occupational therapy, adaptive equipment, etc. And bring a notebook so you can write down answers, and write down other questions that might come to you while you're there.

missmineau, can I ask where the ALS clinic is that you'll be attending? Katie has given you some good advice and I can't add much but your provincial ALS society or provincial government may be able to help you with loaner equipment as the need arises. I don't know about Saskatchewan but I have all my equipment from the ALS Society of Alberta so there may be help for your mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back