Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
Ky
City
ky
I was wondering what happens during the lung function test how often they do it, what numbers are good and bad... Dad is headed for his test tommorow morning and to keep me from worrying, he inly gives me bits and pieces of information. I asked if he started having problems breathing and he said no, that they just wanted to test him. is this normal? Thanks so much in advance, hopefully he will open up completely soon and i won't have to ask so much!
Hugs!
Kari

First, hope the test goes well for him. Yes, it is normal, if this is his first test they want to establish a baseline reading to see any future changes, how much and how rapidly occur. They will measure his air intake and his exhale and give a rating as a percentage of normal for his age. The higher the percentage the better, I haven't felt like I was having any breathing issues but my percentages were in the 60's.

I am not a doctor but I believe this is correct info. Someone else with more medical knowledge or more experience may be able to provide more detailed info.

Thank you for the response... that at least gives me something to go by... did you get your result right away or did they have to call you later? I am sorry.. I hope I am not being to nosey, but he puts up the wall as soon as i ask, which makes it difficult to let him know I am here to help. I want to be as educated as possible when the time comes that he wants to talk. I keep trying to break the ice, but nothing seems to have worked yet.

MY mother had one done last week. Results are immediate. her levels were at 30% they prescribe a bipap ASAP!

Yes, to all the above. It is usually done at thr 3 month clinic visits and results are given immediately. The test are easily done by breathing into a tube sitting up and laying down. Both the exhale and inhale are tested.

Hi, yes the results are immediate, there is a whole range figures but they usually point out FVC (Forced Vital Capacity). Above 80% is considered a normal range, below 50% in the realm of 'critical'. Having a baseline, and than monitoring regularly is very important. Some people start with 120% of predicted result and drop down to 'critical' quickly, others start at 80% and remain in that range for a period of time. So, good to have a baseline and regular monitoring.
All the best, Dani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back