Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
CALIFORNIA
City
san diego
i know no pals travels the same path but our symptoms are a like righ? I s joint pain and stiffnes of lims a trait of als? thanks in advance

My husband has been saying his ankles throb like a toothache.

Dad has just recently been complaining of his shoulder hurting like a toothache... this is the shoulder that started his initial decline..

Stiffness is a result of not moving the various joints and extremities, not exclusive to ALS, but once we have weakness and difficulty walking and lose arm strength we tend to not move as much. At my clinic visit, the OT and PT each gave me a series of stretches and exercises to do daily to help prevent locking up.

My mum experiences stiffness and pain in her joints. Because her mobility is limited her limbs can lock up tight. We try to do a set of range of motion exercises daily. She says it eases the pain.

Not to disagree with all that's been said, but to add... If you have upper motor neuron problems, you will have spasticity with hard muscles. I have mostly lower neuron (LMN) problems, with atrophy or wasting of muscles. Upper (UMN) causes pain from spasticity, and a lot of folks use Baclofen for that pain.

With later loss of muscle, the joints are held together with ligaments and tendons, which aren't intended to handle that stress, so there is often pain. Hip pain and shoulder pain are (just what I read about) the most likely to hurt.

Range of Motion exercise is really important to do. It can keep us from pain for a long time. If range of motion is good, the problem may be from one of these other causes of pain.

My husband has regular OT and PT. It is really helping with the hip and shoulder pain, keeping his range of motion good.

ROM (range of motion) is also very important for those who dont have much movement to help prevent blood clots.

thanks all that posted a reply

Maybe its because im not as far on and my problem is only in my right arm but i dont get any pain in any joints .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back