The cold makes my hand/arm worse is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z3 Driver

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
UK
State
South Yorkshire
City
Rotherham
Hi all,

During the last month while working in various places but having cold outdoor temperatures , the strength and dexterity in my right arm gets worse, a lot worse.
To a point where i can hardly move my fingers. It takes a good half hour to get some movement back into it once i have returned to a warm place. i wear gloves and loads of layers on my upper body but to still happens.

My job is in the field as an engineer surveyor examining/inspecting machines so cannot really change that but im hoping now my company are aware of this they will do all they can to get me some warmer places to visit.
Guess really what im asking is does anyone else suffer the same and have you found any ways of minimising this.
thanks in advance.

I suffer the same, i work in a cold factory and this winter so far has been difficult. Waring gloves and extra layers has done nothing for me. Also more recently been having the same problem with my feet getting cold, so cold its almost painful to walk! I must says its not helped with the heating not working (not that its much use anyway)

Chris.

thanks for reply Chris,
so how are you coping at work? are your bosses doing things to help you?
roll on summer and i hope King Kenny can turn things around for us ...

I'm not doing too bad at work, my legs seem to be getting a lot more achy and tired, also some of the daily jobs are getting a bit tougher but fortunately the bosses have been really helpful with making life easier there. I do think I will be having to call it a day within the next 6 months and maybe find something where I'm sat down more.
I agree though, roll on summer!
Is there nothing in your line of work you can do where it's a bit warmer? I don't think we have seen the last of the freezing weather!

I hope king kenny sorts em out, first off with a win over mancs :)

I think it's common to feel weaker when either cold or too hot. It's true of me. I began with my feet, and at a point when they didn't get warm at all, by using a heating pad, I noticed I could move slightly.

Hi Z3, if you are like me, the early onset of ALS in my left arm felt exactly like yours, cold and clammy. That eventually progressed to fatigue and weakness.
Don't fight it. Keep doing what you can still do. Acceptance alleviates stress caused by this ugly disease. Take care, my friend.

I have heard a few people that say with ALS there extremities get very cold, even in a warm house. My feet and hands get cold and even with a blanket I have to use a heating pad. best of wishes.

Thanks for replies,
Im hoping that my bosses are going to find the warmer indoor jobs over the coming months as they get more knowledge and understanding to my condition.
The other day i was inspecting some patient hoists in a council home and that was lovely and warm and i was much better.
I couldn't help think though that one day i will be wanting one of those. !

On a positive note , i have had 2 days now on Rilutek and had no side effects.
there is still time i guess.

With regards to the riluzole, I've been on it 6 months now and not had any major problems. I do think it makes me a bit more tired, but that's it.

do you think its actually doing anything Chris ?
My name is Kevan by the way ;-)

Hi kevan, I really don't know and I guess we will never will. It's meant to slightly slow things and give you a few extra months! Whether it works or not I will stick with it for as long as I'm not getting any side effects. We are lucky here in uk as we get it through nhs for virtually nothing. For a lot of PALS in other countries it costs a fortune.

Hi z3
I have problems with my hands When shopping it embarrassing I have trou ble packing my goods and I can't key in my pin number ,however I play a bit of golf and I have heat pads that last for 8 hours they get quite hot and do help you can get them from sports shops I get mine from cosco
Scouse

If I stay out in the cold for 10 minutes I have to wait to warm up... or crawl up the stairs.. Cold reduces my muscle function by about 60% ..

i had someone mention to me about heat pads or some pocket warming things , think i will have to look into them.
picking up shopping at the checkout to put into a bag is hard to do as is taking cards from my wallet to pay.
I my job i meet people on a regular basis too and they always go to shake my hand and always my right ! . sometimes my dropped finger gets caught up and gets crushed. embarassing for both parties.

The Rizule i believe to be around £300 a month , so i read somewhere anyhow. Still i have paid my Taxes for the last 23 working years so i dont feel bad recieving the expensive drug for nothing.

Yes, definately! The cold makes my joints alot stiffer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back