Not open for further replies.

wles

Country
US
State
SD
City
Black Hawk
Bill is very apprehensive about getting his teeth cleaned at the dentist. He has a scheduled appointment but he said the last time he was there which was about 8 months ago it was hard even though they used the suction. By now he is having lots of trouble with liquids and coughs often when he tries to drink. He says there is no way he could attempt to swallow with his head back. He says he is not going to go. How do you handle it, or do you just not get your teeth cleaned?

I wish I had something encouraging to say here. I'd love to know how others handle it. We have just opted to stop. Luckily I got my mum in to have a new upper denture made early on after diagnosis. It was pretty traumatic at the time. Now although her palate has changed again and the new denture is now again too big, she says she'd just prefer to keep using adhesive than go through the process again.

Come to that, any ideas on teeth washing when you cannot spit nor swallow? I ususally keep the toothpaste low foam and swab out as much as I can before suctioning. Anyone got other knacky ideas?

I have avoided the dentist too, I have a reminder card but am ignoring it. Probably not a good idea but I can't imagine laying back in the chair and trying not to choke. I would have to take my own suction machine but even then it would be too hard. Maybe if I could sit up?

As far as brushing and rinsing, I hang my face over the sink and use my waterpik water flosser to flush and rinse. Doing this everthing drains into the sink and not down my throat. That is the only thing that works for me although as my hands and arms are weakening fast I'm not sure for how long.

Just starting bulbar symptoms but last 3 checks and cleanings I sat upright in my chair. Bit more work for hygenist but she didn't seem to mind.

AL.

Hi how come I have had no feedback to my posts? i am a woman who's husband has been diagnosed with probable bulbar als I need support is there anyone out there ? what is probable mean ? I have a lot of questions is anyone familiar with bulbar als ? please help!

Nightmare!
The last time I had a cleaning was when I could still walk with a cane. The hygienist had to put a “bite block” in me to save her fingers.:shock:
I was unable to open my mouth very wide. I don’t recall the swallowing leading to choking at that time…it has been a couple of years. When my next appointment came around, I cancelled. I am praying for no teeth problems because going to the dentist would be a futile act, for me.

Judy

Pudge44, sorry but what posts have you been looking for feedback for? There are various different levels or stages in an ALS diagnosis like possible, probable, definite. I forget the actual technical specs but maybe someone else can post them.

I have been a bulbar ALS for over three years now and cant talk, eat or drink so what questions do you have? Please keep in mind that many of us (me included) have trouble typing so if our answers are short please understand.

Hi pudge44--So sorry you aren't getting answers. In the section called "Do I Have ALS/MND" (or something very similar) there are "Sticky" Posts at the top, and within Joel C's Sticky is this thread:https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosis-diagnosis.html

That thread covers the "requirements for probable ALS" and that specific part is here:

Clinically Probable ALS

is defined on clinical evidence alone by UMN and LMN signs in at least two regions with some UMN signs necessarily rostral to (above) the LMN signs.

The terms Clinically Probable ALS - Laboratory-supported and Clinically Possible ALS are used to describe these categories of clinical certainty on clinical and criteria or only clinical criteria:

Clinically Probable - Laboratory-upported ALS

is defined when clinical signs of UMN and LMN dysfunction are in only one region, or when UMN signs alone are present in one region, and LMN signs defined by EMG criteria are present in at least two limbs, with proper application of neuroimaging and clinical laboratory protocols to exclude other causes.
You will understand better by reading the other parts of the post.

Also, in order to have a better chance of being answered, you can start a thread on your topic. Go to the main page, click onto the area (Do I have ALS, for example), and when that section opens, there is a button on the top left called "Start a new Thread". Actually, I think you have done this in the past, because unfortunately, when I read your post I felt like I couldn't answer it. Forgive me--and next time, I'll at least tell you that I don't know the answer.

Best wishes that there turns out to be NO ALS!

Ann

Kim, as your husband is a veteran, do a search: At the top of a page, within a blue strip are white words. Click onto "search" and write in, VA Benefits" for example. Many here are up on that process. I'm not, but "sadiemae" is.

Also: at the top right of the page is your own name. A visitor may want to write to you or invite you to be a friend. Click onto your name if below it the blue word tells you that you have a message. I'm going to do that now... so be on the lookout. We want to help you. Honest!
Ann

Talk to your dentist office - my mom is a hygentist and I know she has worked on people without sitting them back. It is harder and may not be as complete. She cleans Jims teeth and has altered her "routine" for him. She has even cleaned people's teeth while they were sitting in their wheelchair.

My dentist and hygiene tech are very supportive. I get cleanings sitting upright and i hold the suction tube. she asks as she goes along if i am doing good. They are very careful of everything they do and I really appreciate it. Make sure they know your condition and what bothers you. Mine also used bite block to save her fingers. I have found that if you make them aware of your of your concerns they will be very careful with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back