Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
texas
City
dallas
Hi everyone im new to this my dad was diagnosed with als this year and it is really really difficult. Everytime he eats, drinks or take medication he chokes really bad. He also drools a lot and can hardly talk he slurs very badly and you can't really understand him. The weird thing is he is still pretty strong he can do a lot like he chopped wood not that long ago walks and ran up the drive way. He has complete cordination and balance and I do not see any weakness. I feel like he should be getting worse with his weakness and balance by now , the only thing that got worse was his speech , drooling and choking. Another thing they told him was it could have been "agent orange" from the vietnam war when his uniform was sprayed with it, I still have hope and I was wondering if anyone else had the problems like he has but still has complete strength. This is a really hard time and I just want to talk to somebody instead of keeping it all in
-Victoria22

It is quite common for this to happen if he has Bulbar ALS or PLS. It could be quite sometime before he experiences an other symptoms like weakness in his hands or legs.
We are here for you!
Check out my website at Living and Surving with ALS

Thanks so much, I think the doctor did say somthing about bulbar, I really wish it wasn't that. When my dad first started getting symptoms I googled them and I even told him I thought it was als and that is when he ended up going to the doctor, now that he has been diagnosed by many doctors I just dont want to believe I was really right.

we all know how you feel and with time you will deal much better with it . but , always keep your hope up

Your dad sounds just like my husband, he was diagnosised in Oct with Bulbar onset...no matter where it starts it is hard to accept. I hope that he is getting the help he needs as there is help for these things that are happening. Welcome to the forum there is a lot of help and love here.

If your dad is a vet he is entitled to benefits from the V.A..Do a search on the line above to find out more.

AL.

It is tough for children of someone that has ALS. Telling my adult boys was very hard.

Hang in there and support him. I know that he appreciates it.

Hi Victoria,

So sorry your Dad has been diagnosed, but glad you're here and let him know we'd love to hear from him as well. ALSucks no matter when or where it starts, but all you can do is make the best of it and enjoy your time with Dad. Take time to enjoy the walks he can take (I can make it about 25 yards with a cane and AFOs), and get all the hugs you can from him. Prayers for your family!

Hi there Victoria, I understand your fears and worries about your dad, my husband was just diagnosed this month with bulbar ALS onset, he also has the slurred speech trouble swallowing and drool but is only mildly weak in his leg and upper body so he is still working fulltime for now, so your dad and my hubby are at the same place, my hubby is also a veteran and I want you to make sure he applies for help as he will probably get a LOT of help through the VA, we just got all the paperwork to fill out and send back.

we have a daughter ( she is 22 years old ) she graduated alone from college last week no family because of what is going on with her dad & she has decided to come to live with us to be close to her dad so she will be feeling the same things you are right now, we are here to support each other so WELCOME Victoria <<<<<< hugs>>>>>>>>>> to you.

Victoria just a heads up you might want to take the number and street address of your profile as there are some real sickos out there in internet land.

Last edited:
Huh? Gil.green I have no idea what you're talking about and if you are trying to sell something you've failed to get your message across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back