Feet and leg swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lori, a great article, and one I read on Diane's website a couple of years ago. Due to this information, I am in bed (as of now) for a 14 hour stretch. My feet do swell less, my legs not at all. A hospital bed is wonderful...the only problem/complaint is that it's hard to type in bed. I get up when it suits Phil. Earlier when friends hoist me and he's at work.

Perfect timing, we are visiting my sister and the chair I have been sitting in at the table to use my laptop and visit with family puts a mlot of pressure on my thighs and I woke up today with swollen feet. Thanks for sharing

It's a lot of work but my wife really appreciated a long foot/leg rub every night. Some nights I just didn't have the energy and I always felt bad about that. It did do wonders for bringing the swelling and discomfort down though. After half an hour or so on each leg they would look almost normal and she would be much relieved.

very good article and link. Thanks for posting. My live in carer/nurse fortunately for me is a qualified masseur so I get massage every day which I find really helps with the swelling and pain.

We had a physiotherapist come in and one of his suggestions is to rub the leg upwards from the foot through to the ankle and up to the knee. I sort of wrap my hand around the foot like I was grasping it and push upwards. I repeat at least 20 to 30 times or even more per leg. I also do some gentle flexion of the foot backwards and forwards. My husband spends most of his day in bed and this seems to help.

Thanks

Chris

AL

These ready staps...are they something you wear all the time to prevent swelling, or something you put on to reduce swelling? As a fellow Ontarian I was wondering if they were covered by your insurance company?

Thanks

Once my physio got the swelling down to a manageable level she ordered the ready wraps. My Ins. did pay for them after my GP wrote them a letter saying I was not a good candidate for regular compression stockings. I'm in the process now of getting a new type that will be easier for homecare to put on. I wear them up until 9 or 10 at night or until we get home if we're out.

AL.

It is the cold i hate. Ice cutting through my feet all the time

good to see you here, Iris.
Do you use heating pads under your feet? This might help you. just make sure you arent putting your bare feet directly onto the pad, unless you can easily move them off yourself.
They even make battery operated heated socks- I got a pair for my PALS for Christmas.

Mom uses compression boots for at least an hour a day. Iris, she also wears these fuzzy socks that keep her feet so warm they actually sweat. If you send me your address I would LOVE to send you a pair. So happy to see you here as well.

My toes and fingers get like ice so I've heated a bag filled with rice in the microwave and put it on my feet - haven't figured out what to do for the fingers. They feel like I have been sticking them in the snow and I haven't been out of the house in more than a week! (and then there wasn't any snow!):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back