Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
New York
City
Fishkill
Ok, I'm not finding anything on this anywhere. The Flu is going around our house. Yes, we had our shots...so much for that. I am afraid Mom is now sick with it. She keeps saying her stomach hurts. She is on a vent and has a feeding tube. I am afraid of what will happen if she vomits. I am not even sure that her muscles will let her. Will she aspirate? Does anyone have any experience with this happening? Oh, God. I don't know what to do.

My mom had some kind of the flu last week and her stomach was very uspet. She also has a peg and when she vomited it just went back through her tube. She didn't have any issues of choking. I hope this helps you and your mom soon gets over the flu. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

Dana

Thanks, Dana. So far she is just feeling like she is going to vomit. I'm afraid to feed her.

I am having the same problems in our house. Not sure what to expect. We can compare notes after it is all over, if I am still around! LOL
I have been wondering the same questions. Sorry you are going through this as well.

Thanks, Joel, sorry you are going through it too. At least I'm not alone!

My main concern is sleeping. Since I sleep on my back, and can't move at all, I am a bit concerned about what will happen if I vomit. I can't even turn my head so it will be an interesting experience.

Hope you guys make it through this without any problems!

My husband doesn't have a PEG so I don't have experience, but is there a reason you couldn't empty the stomach with a syringe. If there is nothing in your stomach to throw up, the risk of aspiration would be less likely? I realize you want to maintain nutrition and hydration, but for the short haul which would be better? Please educate me if this is a really bad idea - somewhere down the road I will need to know how to deal with this.

Not a bad idea at all. Never tried it, no reason to yet, but can't see why it would not work as long as you had some advanced notice there might be a possibility of vomiting. Will let you know if I have to try it.

My dietitian told me that I could just open the tube over the sink or a bucket if I was nauseated to the point of vomiting. Never tried it but I've sure thought about it to relief the pain of air pumped into me by my bipap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back