Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Holland
I lost my brother to als in 2000 he was 41 I frequent a bar in toledo where a patron who i know from going there the last 10 years had been coming in the last 6 months losing wight and hands are pixied sorry about my use of words im trying to use words that people may understand he is telling people that he has artharitis but i recognize the symptons of dragging his leg sometimes right sometimes left his eating and chewing the way he holds a fork. he has a good apatite but still losing wait. i have seen all this before it brings flashbacks of what my brother went through, i overheard someone talking to him about a pill or vitamin and it reminds me of the thousands of dollars we spent on fraudulant pills and how it did no good at all. i know he doesnt want anyone to know what he has i just dont want him to waste anymore time or money. the fact that i have been there before eats me up inside and i dont know if i should interfere he may get affended. anyone who had a simular problem i would value your input on how to approach this. thanx Tom.

hi tom.
you could start up a conversation and maybe after sometime casually drop it in the conversation about your brother.
if he does indeed have als then when he is ready to talk he may confide in you but dont push it.
if he is undiagnosed'ed then maybe casually say he should see a doctor about his health,say you have noticed .
whatever,just tread carefully. please let us know how you get on .
sorry to hear about your brother,your a very kind and careing man.

the day before my first EMG, a stranger stopped me in a parking lot, pointed out my dragging left foot, and asked if I had ALS. I asked a lot of questions. His mother had the disease. I was able to do some research and thanks to the risks a stranger took, I went to my appointment more prepared. I am not saying to just speak up. Think about it. It could be a positve thing.

gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back