Loved one DX
Country
US
State
pa
City
pittsburgh
Hello,

My father was recently diagnoised with ALS. This situation is very heartbreaking for my mother and I. After researching the condition, I have only heard devestating things such as only living 3-5 years, ending up paralyzed...awful things..What I am looking for is encouragement. I am in college and being away from my parents has been hard. I am trying to do my best in school but all I can think about is my father's condition...I guess i'm asking for support, encouragement, and prayer. All ALS websites I have been on said that many people get to a certain point and do not get any worse and some say their condition has even been reversed...The worst part is not knowing...this disease is so rare and individualized it is hard to know how it is going to affect my father....I feel so helpless about this entire situation.

Also, my mother has recently put my father on an all natural diet, thinking this might help his ALS..has anyone else tried diets? Do they work? Does anyone have any other tips/tricks that might work?

God Bless.

I'[m sorry your father has ALS. The people on this website are very caring and know a lot about the disease because most of them have it themselves. You will receive encouragement and support here. I've had ALS for 2 1/2 years. In my case the disease has been relentless, no pauses, no stops. It goes downhill everyday but I've lived for all that time without as much as a catheter, bipap or feeding tube. My legs are almost useless, but I can still talk, eat and swallow. I'd depend on my neurologist and ALS clinic for more precise information. The web is good, but your father's own neurologist is much better. It's wonderful that you're such a caring son. But staying in school is probably the best thing you can do for your parents. I hope your father's condition gets easier for you to tolerate in the months to come. Thank you for finding us. Ask anything.
Carol

Im very sorry you are going through all of this. it is so hard and unfortunately, only time will tell what will happen.
Welcome to our forum and to the family, but I am sorry you have to be here.
We know what you are going through.

I am no expert, and i am sure that someone else will chime in and have more knowledge on it, but make sure that your dad doesnt lose weight. Eating will become an issue somewhere down the road, so its better if PALS keep their weights up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back