Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
NE
City
A small town
I read that the new ALS Registry is only for those who are living with ALS...is this correct?
If so, this is highly disappointing, and makes me angry. :|

Natalie, I believe that is correct and if not someone else please say so.

Who can become a member of the registry?
The National ALS Registry is open to all people with ALS who are citizens or legal residents of the United States.

from the registry FAQ page

Who can become a member of the registry?
The National ALS Registry is open to all people with ALS who are citizens or legal residents of the United States.

from the registry FAQ page

Correct.
But my question was can a deceased PALS still be registered.

The registry has two ways to join... one for PALS, one for everyone else. The "public option" is informational only, no input allowed. The actual PALS registry accepts input from living PALS only... there is no option for entering information for deceased PALS. I wrote to the CDC about this, explaining my disappointment, and basically got an "oh well" response. I too am very angry.. I definitly resent that my husbands information no longer matters because he died a couple of months too early!

I am so sorry you lost him. you must be devastated. As I understand it, the information in the registry will be used to study how people with ALS are living with the disease. I have looked at the information they are collecting and I think it is lacking in many areas but it is a work in progress. I am certain no one is devaluing the worth of those who have passed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back