Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
WI
City
Beaver Dam
Today my PALS had an appointment to get his trache changed.
This needs to be done every 3 months or so. I thought i might let you guys know about it, as you may go through this at some point if you choose to vent:

Got to the hospital, (outpatient day-surgery) and they take us back to the room right away. Everyone knows Ray, so of course he's got all the nurses running up to him and saying hello. He LOVES this, as he is a natural flirt:shock:
Ray is always cold from the lack of movement, so they cover him in warming blankets... i might be jealous. The RT comes in and does an in-line breathing treatment. In-line just means hooking it up to his hoses because he obviously cant breathe on his own. The treatment is to help loosen up some of the gunk, and also it numbs his throat so there is no discomfort during the change.
Once that is done (about 6-8 mins), the doc comes in and gets his stuff all ready.
We place a pillow behind Rays back. This makes his head lean back.
I hold his jaw shut for him, as he sometimes will bite his tongue. Then one, two, three- they empty the balloon in his old trache and pull it out. The new one is quickly replaced and the balloon filled up.
He does cough and gag when this is done- but it honestly looks worse than it is. I ask him all the time how bad it is, and he says its not at all. And he would know, as he's been doing this for over 5 years now.
Then its just a matter of suctioning out his trache a couple times, and his mouth of course and repositioning him in his chair.
All together, from the time we get there til the time they are done, is about 15 mins.
The time consuming part is getting him ready to leave the house.

So, there you have it. That is our experience with a trache change.

Thanks Liz, good to know and I'm glad that it is so easy.

No prob, Barry. I know at first it might be a little more uncomfortable than usual, but this is because the doctor has to learn your inner anatomy. What i mean is, everyones throat and trachea is shaped differently, so the doc needs to learn what angle to go in at and all of that. But if youve got a competent doc, it shouldnt be an issue.

Christine changes mine at home and it take all of 30 seconds. No pain or discomfort at all. Why don't you start doing that?

Wow Joel- didnt think that was an option. Im not sure why he has never had his mom do this. Maybe out of fear in case something went wrong and she couldnt get it back in or something. I do think if we began to do this, i would want to do it at the hospital the first few times, just in case.
Your wife sounds awfuly amazing. I dont know that i would be able to do it myself. I could see changing the PEG, but im not so sure about the trache.
I wonder why they think they have to numb him first? Does christine give you anything to numb you?
Maybe he had some issues with it. Looks like i have some investigating to do. Thanks Joel!

Now that im thinking about it, Joel, im guessing that the doc probably wouldnt be to happy with showing me how to do it, seeings how that means he will no longer get paid to do it for us...
I wonder who could teach me? Any ideas?

Our RT was here the first time Christine did it as support. Christine did it every time after that without anyone around. No numbing necessary.
If Christine can do it I guarantee you can. When our children were little she could not even pull out slivers, I had to do it. Sometimes the kids had to wait all day until I got home.

You are correct, it must have to do with the money. They don't want you to know how easy it is. But it is very easy. Honest! LOL

Thanks Joel. I think i will have a chat with Ray tomorrow and see how he feels about it all.

He probably will want to go to the hospital so he can flirt with the nurses!

I will see if one of our caregivers will video the change the next time so you can see how easy it is. It might be another month.

Barry- man are you so right! women just flock to him and he eats it up.
Joel, that would be really neat, thank you for offering that.

hey Liz- thanks for putting this stuff up. Good to know.

Hi tomby- sure. anytime. let me know if theres anything else you want to know about.

Thanks Liz - my doctor and I had the trache discussion last month- lung function dropping fairly quickly, so it might be sooner in my future than I would have hoped :(. I know I'll have lots of questions for you and Joel.
Tom

I saw my pulmonologist yesterday and he said the same thing, we need to be looking at the trache next few months if my lung function keeps dropping like it has. Sobering, but he promises to do his best to keep me alive for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back