Diagnosis
12/2008
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Pierce
This will be my first Thanksgiving that I cannot eat anything. This is a meal I have cooked for the last 40 years and is my favorite meal of the year. I went to the store today and the store was all ready for the Holiday shoppers. This is so hard to get past. I have decided I will not be making Thanksgiving dinner this year. My husband can go to a friends house and eat and my daughter only wants stuffing and pumpkin pie which she will be making. So, we decided that she would come and spend the day with me and we would put up the Christmas decorations and watch movies all day. I just cannot face going to an affair that the main function is a big meal with all the smells and oohs and aahs over the turkey. I will just move past it the best way I can.
Then to get through the Christmas season to January. This is the hardest part of the year to get through when you cannot eat or drink. But get throught it I will!
Just needed to vent a bit.
Thanks,
NancyS

Right there with you Nancy! Stay strong!

Barry

I know, and thanks, I will get through it.

Was always my hubby's favorite meal too...so painful. I love your idea about decorating for Christmas. Take care of yourself!

Thanksgiving was always our favorite holiday. I've cooked the turkey every year for the past twenty years. This year we'll be eating Thanksgiving dinner at the Best Western in Lancaster, PA with my mother-in-law and Liz's brother and sister-in-law. I'm going to do the best I can to make it a pleasant holiday this year, but everything has changed and I honestly have no idea how it'll all shake out.

I know and am sorry you will be going through this. Holidays are so hard when we have lost someone dear to us. I guess we will all have to think of each other on that day and get through it. Enjoy it the best you can.

Even though I can't partake I enjoy everyone being around and all the activities and smells warm my heart!

you can still smell, joel? Hmm. I thought once on the trache, people couldnt smell much anymore. Ray can only smell very offensive things, like cigarette smoke. He hates it.
Im sorry the holidays are going to be hard on so many of you. Looks like i have a few more things to be thankful for.
Maybe someone should start a thread with ideas of what PALS could do during the holidays instead of eating...

Yes, I can still smell but very faintly. The odors take time to get through the vent and when I exhale through my nose I can smell. Remember that I have a cuffless trache, this would not be possible with a cuffed trache tube.

ahhh. that would explain it... thanks joel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back