Reason
Loved one DX
Country
UK
State
England
City
London
Just wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to expect from an EMG? I've never had one before and I'm due to have one in a few weeks, if anyone could explain the process? Thank you.

Re: Emg

Mine was in two parts - first they used a small electrical current to stimulate nerves in my feet, legs and arms. The second part consisted of sticks with very small needles (I don't mind needles so it wasn't a big deal for me). Again they worked from my legs to arms and eventually even my face. I didn't find it particularly painful and was joking with the girls the whole time. Good luck!

Re: Emg

As KC2U2 says, it can be in two parts. The first uses the device that puts an electrical current into your muscles. The second is with needles, maybe about the size of acupuncture needles (?). To me, the first part was the most uncomfortable, but bearable. The needles weren't pleasant but didn't hurt all that much, even the one throug the underside of my chin.

Hi Jodie,

My experience was like KC2U2 and lostingeorgia.

Before the testing, the nurse put my feet in warm water for about 10-15 min. as prep before the testing.

My Neuro did the test and she is very good. I was not bothered by the testing at all.

Judy

I enjoyed the pin-pricking (long needles!) and the electric shocks. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

The only part I didn't like is when the needle was stuck in my tongue other than that it wasn't that bad

The only part I didn't like is when the needle was stuck in my tongue other than that it wasn't that bad

Me too, Billy. Doc asked Do you mind if I stick this needle in your tongue? I asked her if she'd mind if I stuck a needle in her tongue...she got a good chuckle out of that

Shocks always seem worse when you know they are coming...:?:
Tech says.. This may hurt a bit.. Felt like slapping her.. LOL
As an electrician I spent my life tiring to avoid shocks..
Getting them on purpose just felt wrong..
But hey.. It really isn't all that bad...

Thanks for the advice! I've heard that the needles are really painful as they go in your muscles? I have a really bad phobia of needles which is the part i'm worried about.

Jodie, I believe that the amount of pain you experience is made worse by becoming tense or fearful. I've had two sessions of EMGs. During the first session, I was alone with a doctor who only spoke when I asked him a question. I found it painful.

During the second session, my husband was with me, and we both asked questions while a different doctor talked to us about what she was finding (she was head of the dept. at Hopkins), and while it was not comfortable, I was so involved with the discussion of what she was seeing and learning, the distraction kept me from being terribly conscious of the discomfort.

My advice is to have a loved one with you in the room, who will ideally ask pertinent questions and also help you to be able, later, to remember whatever is said.

I really believe, also, that the strong desire to know my diagnosis made the slight pain rather unimportant. Try to keep your mind off the needles... it helps if you can be distracted by your family member or friend who is in the room with you.

Very best wishes,
Ann

Hi Jodie. I have had 5 EMG's ! That comes from being married to an over anxious neurologist. They use needles the size of acupuncture needles. they dont hurt going in at all, but are uncomfortable when they giggle them about to test different nerve fibres. They do this so that they dont do so many sticks. but get more info from the one hole (if that makes sense).
My first neurologist said ouch for me every time he put a needle in and everytime he thought it would hurt. I found this so amusing that I hardly noticed. I did not find the tongue one painful at all. I should have had my tongue pierced while he was at it. Now that would have shocked my teenage daughters.
I am immune to them now, and rather enjoy the shocks! I am extremely weird. I will be having more, so yay. My hubby always took me out for a lovely meal afterwards. Plan a treat....... that helps.
Good luck
Aly

Jodie,
THE needles are so thin,you will barely feel them . the tongue stick is done under your chin to base of tongue.
It did not hurt. Hope you have a good experience like mine and get a clean bill of health.
Blessings, Pat

I never had the EMG testing on my face or tongue. I had two done in a month and I was gun shy by the time they were done. When you have to flex your muscle while they were in there that was painful. I do not like them at all. But that is me. It was neccesary but it is over.

I read what people said about emg unfortunately I did not have a good experiance none of the six I had . As a matter of fact I don't know how I did on the six one cause I druged myself up so much w/hydrocodone cause I knew I wouldn't be able to tolerate the pain. I've only become that way since als. but you know were all different and at the same time so alike...............

I remember the day I had mine. No big deal, slight discomfort and an NCV tech that must have been Whoopie's twin sister. Anyway, after they were finished with me, I was in the hallway waiting for my wife to come out of the restroom and heard a fellow screaming his head off in one of the EMG rooms. He was threatening to use the equipment on the staff so they could see what it felt like. To him, it must have been a bigger deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back