Old 11-11-2010, 06:40 AM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: London
State: England
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Jodie is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Neurology consultation

My father was diagnosed with MND 5 years ago, and sadly passed away 2 years ago. Recently i've started getting muscle twitches all over my body and every now and again i'll lose the feeling slightly in my left hand. Even though I know this disease is not hereditary, i can't help but wonder if the symptoms I'm having are associated with MND. I have an appointment to see a neurologist and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to expect from the consultation? Thank you.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM #2 (permalink)

City: St helens
State: merseyside, England
Diagnosed: 07/2010
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Chris_b is on a distinguished road
City: St helens
State: merseyside, England
Diagnosed: 07/2010
Chris_b is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Neurology consultation

Hi, maybe someone else will confirm this but I don't think the twitching occurs all over the body, I think it's more isolated to the muscles that are effected. Also loss of feeling is not something that affects someone with mnd. There is a number of things that could cause your problems. Hopefully it will be something that gets sorted very easily.

Good luck with the neurologist.

Chris.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:57 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Eastern Shore
State: Maryland
Diagnosed: 07/2007
abbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Eastern Shore
State: Maryland
Diagnosed: 07/2007
abbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to beholdabbas child is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Chris, Jodie. I don't believe I've ever heard of numbness as a beginning sign--if present at all it's a late sign, and the twitching is probably benign--certainly it's not a sudden thing, happening all over your body with an ALS problem. I hope all goes well also with your appointment, and you get peace of mind. I expect you do have the happy problem of a muscle entrapment, and a good stretching or something will fix your hand.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 AM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you. I know that my dad didn't get any muscle twitches until after he'd been diagnosed and they weren't anything like what i'm having now, like Chris said they were more isolated to the muscles that were affected.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM #5 (permalink)

City: Madison
State: Wisconsin
Diagnosed: 05/2009
Madison1943 is on a distinguished road
City: Madison
State: Wisconsin
Diagnosed: 05/2009
Madison1943 is on a distinguished road

Yeah Jodie, I had foot cramps, then I started falling randomly for about 14 months before I noticed twitching in my leg. It was only in my right leg. At that point I had an EMG and nerve conduction test that confirmed ALS. I've never heard of twitching all over being associated with ALs. I hope the neurologist performs an EMG that will put your mind at rest. It's probably just nerves after what you went through with your Dad. Good luck!
Carol
Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 AM #6 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you Carol!
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, diagnosed, father, mnd, muscle, muscle twitches, neurologist, neurology, symptoms, twitches