12/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Oceanside
Hello,

I am writing just to get a new perspective for caregiving. Any and all advice is appreciated. My Mother was diagnosed with Familial ALS last December, she is now beginning to lose the use of her legs and it takes several people to assist her with lifting to go to the bathroom. This is taking a toll on our family and friends who are the current caregivers. I am here to seek other options since she still has control over when she urinates, etc. My sister is meeting with our local Senior Services to see what they can suggest. If you have any suggestions or can enlighten us in anyway on this matter it would be appreciated.

Thanks & God Bless.

I'm so sorry your mother and your family is going through this. The ALSA in your area may well have a hoyer type lift that can be loaned to your mother. It isn't difficult to learn or to do, especially at her stage (she'll be able to help a little bit). The ALSA or the MND can also loan her a wheelchair if she doesn't have one. I think she needs both these helps now, and it will spare all of you much energy and strength along with your mother's.

A lift is certainly in order. As has already been suggested, contact the ALS Association in your area and ask if they have a lift in their loan closet that you can get from them.

and if for some reason you cannot get one throught the ALSA, you can go onto medical supply websites and purchase one for a few hundred dollars. Of course you will also need to buy a sling as well. May i suggest getting one that has an opening in the bottom for easy commode use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back