Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago area
Hi everyone. I haven't been here for awhile, so some of you won't know me, but I'm sure alot of you will remember me. My husband Lenny passed from ALS 9/28/09, just 26 months after diagnosis. My daughter Selena was 16 when he passed, and is now a high school senior.

Her dream since middle school has been to attend The Illinois Institute of Art - Chicago. This is a private art school and very expensive, so she is applying for scholarships in hopes of making it affordable. While doing scholarship searches, she came upon one that looks to involve alot of work, but the rewards would be great. Up to $50,000 worth of great to be exact.

She will be doing an extensive research paper on ALS. The scholarship website is 2010-11 Competition Information

What I am asking/hoping for is for anyone willing to share their story with her. Info that would be helpful include:

Type of ALS - Familial or sporadic

Date of symptom onset

Date of diagnosis

MOST importantly, any info you feel or suspect may have contributed to the development of your ALS. This could be exposure to toxins, head or neck injury, type of work you did, lifestyle, etc.

Any "clusters" of ALS in your area

Any other info you feel would be helpful or relevant

If you wish to share any part of your personal journey with ALS, that too would be appreciated.

If you PM me I can provide you with my email address and/or phone number.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and MANY thanks to anyone willing to help.

Linda

Hi Linda, it is good to hear from you!

Tell her to go to our website, she can use anything from there.

Living and Surving with ALS

Sure do remember you, do a google search, I believe there are some scholarships out there for children of PALS. I sure would love to see her benefit from that, she sounds like she is really doing great, I know how hard it was for you guys when Lenny died. Keep us posted.

I would be willing to do anything that helps..have her check out The Tim Laffolette series on Facebook...called something awesome.. The videos give an amazing glance into a young man dealing with ALS. The videos are also on You Tube. Good Luck. Hope you are doing well.

Linda, I am fairly new to the forum, but if there is anything I can contribute for your daughter please PM me and I will be happy to share my journey thus far.

I am happy to help in any way...I thought I posted this earlier..but do not see it anywhere..so sorry if it is a double. I thought your daughter might be interested in checking out the Often Awesome series on facebook or You Tube. It has followed his progression..and the realities of the disease. Good luck with the project..I will help in anyway needed as well. Hope you are hanging in there..glad to see you back on the forum. I know it must be hard to be back here.

Will help in any way I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back