Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
wi
City
brown deer
i have pain in the back of my legs and both of my knees. does anyone else have or remember having this problem? i am still walking, barely, and spend alot of time sitting. is this just a natural part of the degenerative process? sometimes its ok when i wake up, but starts hurting within an hour. any suggestions? thanks.

I had a lot of knee pain, cpm. I had it behind my knees while seated, and had to have my legs elevated so that all weight was off my legs and only on buttocks. That lasted in my case for about nine months, then just stopped. As my walking grew worse, my feet sort of slid forward in a sideways position so I wouldn't trip over the "foot drop-toes". My knees suffered then and became swollen.

When I began using a power wheelchair, the knee abuse stopped and while seated I was fine. However, my knees hyperextend as a result of muscle loss, meaning when I lie flat, my knees dip down toward the bed. I have to have a pillow under them to hold them up. And now... only tendons surround the knees, my feet in bed want to drop off to the side and I have my husband shove soft fabric along the knee on the side to keep the leg straight, and also make the feet (toes) straight up against a firm surface. Otherwise, pain awakens me in the night.

I think that you really need to begin the process of getting a power chair now. Do contact your ALSA coordinator for finding a loan closet chair. I've read from others that when these joint problems aren't taken care of, they become more serious. I hope you've already found your local ALSA and MDA, as they both can help you greatly with the equipment you will need.

Best wishes... and my sympathy for those knees.
Ann

ann, thanks for your reply. are you saying i should walk as little as possible to reduce stress on my knees? sadly, i don't have a husband to cozy me up at night : ( . i have a clinic appt. on 12/2 at which time i was going to ask about getting a power wheelchair. i was told it takes about 3 months to get it.

I see some of your difficulties. Are you in contact already with the ALS Association in your area? That and also the MDA are both important, and may cause you to get a power chair much more quickly. Yes, I am saying I believe you should walk as little as possible if your knees are hurting. Another forum member did permanent hip damage from walking too much for too long. A loan closet may even get you a little chair without all the bells and whistles (elevated legs, seat, tilt, and reclining back) which is what I used for about six months. A loaner chair to start with allows you to find out what you like and don't like before money is spent, and is well worth using simply for that reason. I hope you are able to get one!

I used to "pack" my legs myself until my hands and arms grew weak. I hope that you have a long time before (and if) you lose yours. The main thing for you right now, as I see it, is your need for a power chair and to really limit walking. I did stand in the kitchen and bathroom, using the chair just for "traveling" in the beginning.

Best wishes as you find what helps you, and do keep "picking our brains"!
Ann

Knee pain is common in older age and also due to overweight. Try to reduce the walk but do not avoid it completely. Because walking is essential for proper functioning of the body. I also suggest you to use Wheelchair if you get more pain in your knee.

I don't think als has caused me many new pains, but it has compounded pre-exsisting pains. I was a pretty physical person my whole life, and have had my share of booboos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back