PALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Fernandina Beach
Dear fellow ALS friends,
I had cervical surgery and my speech was slurred afterwards.
Did anyone else have speech problems after this surgery?
I probqably should not have had this surgery.
Neurologist did not recognize that I was in the beginning stages of ALS.
I really would like to know if any other disease mimics ALS.
Thanks,
Degenhardt

was this surgery due to your fall?

I have had a 2 level cervical spine fusion. It commonly causes swallowing problems and voive issues, due to neuropraxia. If you have an anterior approach(most commonly done) the movement of all the structures in your neck during surgery can damage the nerves. It is usually not permanent, and improves over time. I have had swallowing issues since surgery.

I had 2 bulging discs which were causing me some pain, but not uncontrollable. When I develpoed arm weakness it was decided that it was caused by my neck and so I had the surgery. It was of course unneccesary as The weakness did not improve and 2 years after surgery it was decided that I had posiible PLS. I think this senario is not all that uncommon. It gets difficult when several things occur at the same time, causing the symptoms to become very confusing for everyone.

I think many diseases mimic ALS, although mimic is not a very good word to use. Literally hundreds of different neurological disorders, especially early on can be confused with one another. Many of the neurological disorders have many subtypes, some of which are in the proicess of being discovered, some of which stay hidden. This is why a good doctor should not mention ALS until it fits into the full criteria for it. Many doctors do not mention it, and on this forum some people seem to hold that against their doctors and want an imediate diagnosed.
They would probably be the first ones to want to sue the doctor if he gets it wrong.?

I doubt that your Doctor would have given you the diagnosed without all the facts (i hope not). I am so sorry about what you are going through. My thoughts are with you.

Sorry about your neck surgery woes. I wish I had not had mine done, but I have no radicular pain anymore , so thats the bright side.

It would be interesting to find out how many people have unneccesary spinal surgery, when the problem is elsewhere?

Aly

Excuse spelling mistakes if any (havent got my contacts in and glasses on)

Thanks Aly for your reply.
Now I know that cervical surgery can cause voice and swollowing problems.
I am hoping that my diagnosed is wrong. I am hanging on by hope.
I am only 60 and my relatives have lived into their eighties.

My surgery was due to my right foot kicking off on the back step. I was sent stat for an MRI with contrast of my brain, cervical and thorasic spine. My cervical spine showed a bone spur, herniated disk and arthritic disk. I had a laminectomy with fusion on three disks. My fall was in April 2009 and the walking started in August 2009. My surgery was in March 2010 I would like to believe this is not ALS. I am beginning to come to terms with the diagnosed. It is hard for me to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back