Reason
Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
SR
City
south river
My father-in law has been sick since may of 2010 small changes, difficulty swallowing, slurred speach, at first we thought it was a cva but Dr's ruled it out. he went to see a neuro Dr yesterday and we were told they think its the start of ALS. All I have done today is research and I would be lieing if I said I am not scared with what I have found. He is a very proud strong man who has thrieved all his life, he is active always going doing something, he has taken care of his family all his life and I know he is suffering emotionally/physically but he wont let on. I guess what I am looking for is advice on how to help him though the next phase, the finial diagnoses is not here but we are all trying to prepare for it. we want to support him but not undermind him, he has never been one to ask for help...any advice would be welcomed!

Re: new to als

It's hard to know how to react to someone unknown... Did your Father in Law have an EMG done yesterday? I'm wondering if there is actual test results that show something or if this is based on the doctor's "gut feeling".

My advice for your response is to allow him to take the lead, although you can offer to talk with him if he wants to talk. The thing is, you may know more about ALS by your reading than he needs to know and also more than he wants to hear right now.

Because we all have individualized disease progression both in area as well as time frame, sometimes it only serves to frighten someone newly diagnosed when they hear someone else's (or a Neurologist's) information. That is something also for you to keep in mind, so that you don't worry unduly.

Perhaps just give him a hug. If he needs to talk, a hug may bring him to that openness.

Blessings,
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back