Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
Low Potassium Causes, Symptoms, Treatment.

My husband had labs done, and they called a couple hours later to tell us to get him to the ER stat. All is well now, as they gave him an IV of Potassium and Magnesium, however his potassium was critically low, and could have caused a fatal heart attack. Usually this is caused by medications, but in his case, it was poor nutrition. He had felt bloated and just not hungry for a couple of weeks, so wasn't eating or drinking enough. The symptoms are not really noticeable for a PALS. He had just felt a little worse than "normal"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, I am glad they caught it and he is feeling better!

Thank you, Lori. I'm sure your information will help a lot of folks. It is hard to eat just the right things and also to drink enough when various aspects of this disease make it seem like work. (using a diaper...just don't want yet another hoist.)

Yes, as Ted said, it's great that Les is doing better! I hope he likes bananas. I think a baked potato is good also? Not positive. But in any case, adding Magnesium as well as Calcium along with Potassium helps bones as well, so it's good to do.

V8 has a lot also. His daily vitamin has only 2% of the RDA of Potassium, so I will see what his primary Doc suggests next week. A too high Potassium is also not good, so we have to do it in moderation. I am also giving him a combo of Magnesium, Calcium, and Zinc. And vitamin D-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back