Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
Albany
Hello-
My Father-in-law's symptoms are progressing rapidly. He is now taking in sustenance only from his feeding tube. It seems inappropriate to have the focus of our Thanksgiving celebration to be a meal in which my Father-in-law will not be able to partake. I am fairly certain that this will be his last Thanksgiving with us and I want it to be special for him. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Pam

Have you asked him how he feels about it? Unless there is dementia involved (and sometimes even if there is) it's easy to make assumptions about what our PALS might want. If he's not comfortable with there being a "family feast" then yes, finding something else to do would be appropriate... maybe going to a movie together, or an outing to see fall foliage. But maybe he would prefer being with his family as they kept the holiday as "normal" as possible. I would definitly seek his input.

i can still eat but i have to b feed n its uncomfortable but i still celebrate with my family.

I can't eat, talk or move but I still enjoy watching my family enjoy a good celebration meal. Just because I can't eat does not give me the right to ruin it for them and as I said, I really enjoy being a part of their celebration. But I understand we are all different.

There is not much I enjoy more than watching food being prepared, smelling the aromas and spending time with family and friends so for me it is not about my not eating. For me it is about giving thanks and celebrating time together. I agree, ask him how he feels and go from there.

We go to my mother in law's for Thanksgiving every year. This year I can't eat by mouth but whatever she makes will go in my vitamixer and in my peg tube. Depends on who is there if I will eat there or save for home. However it is nice to see family and catch up on what's been going on. Just ask him what he would like =)

I know how you feel. My mom cannot eat anything by mouth, sometimes she might chew something and spit it out but not in front of anyone. The other day she had said if she is not worse she would cook the dressing and mashed potatoes as that is her main dishes she usually does. and we do the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back