Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Hi everyone,

Mom has been wheelchair bound for a few months so her legs are not circulating. We prop them up when she's okay with it but her feet are really swelling. We are looking for a leg massage machine. Does anyone have recommendations? Could you post links of ones you've purchased?

Thanks again for your help!

Julez

Hi Julez,
I had a loaned Brookstone "O Sim U Squeeze" foot massage, although it now has heat, whereas the one I used didn't. This is an expensive machine. At the time I used it, I had upper body strength and could get my feet all the way in. I wore TED Compression stockings also for swelling. (No links here, but you can easily find this by going to the "Brookstone" site, and search for "foot massager".)

Julez, it really didn't do much to help. My legs went back to their swollen state quickly after I ended each massage. The only thing that really works is to raise your Mom's feet above her heart (hard to do, but lying on a couch with pillows under her lower legs and knees can do this). She should also stay in bed, hopefully again with legs propped up. I use a hospital bed to accomplish this--at least 12 hours a day. I'd hate for you to spend a mess of money on this kind of treatment.

On the other hand, massage by someone else can be very helpful. You begin at the top of the swelling (above her feet) and "push" the fluid up her leg repeatedly, and gradually work down to where you're beginning at her toes. That really is considered helpful. Compression stockings are always recommended and are helpful. The best thing, again, is raised legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back