Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
My partner's weakness is mainly in his arms and his upper body, where the muscle wasting is most prominent. Weakness of his core muscles means that he can't pull himself up easily (into sitting or standing position). His legs are weakening, but he feels that it is the core muscles that are most affected.

Our physio suggested trying out a corset! Has anybody tried anyting like this? Any feedback? He has no noticeable respiratory issues by my thinking is that a corset would perhaps put pressure on chest and make him uncomfortable.

Thanks, Dani

He could try one of those back braces the guys at Home Depot wear. If he has any breathing issues it will probably squeeze him too much. Worth a try though.

AL.

Dani, I have similar problems and the doctor at the ALS clinic wrote me a Rx for one of those braces the folks at Home Depot use. It has helped a lot but I noticed my shoulders were tilting forwards and throwing me off balance so last month he ordered a shoulder brace that holds my shoulders back... now I wear both braces and feel like a trussed turkey but can stand up straight and walk withoiut balance issues.

I wear both braces under my blouses and on top of a t-shirt so noone even knows I have them on if I don't tell them. Of course I still use my walker and am being careful, but at least I am better than without the braces.:)

I am sorry but this makes me think of the kid on the movie The Christmas Story that his mom stuffed him into that snow suit and he was stiff as a board. Or the olden days where the ladies would tighten them babies down so they looked like a size 1 in their dresses. On the more serious side I am glad you are finding something to help so you can still get around. Sometimes we have to look for some humor in this dang disease.

Rox, as I hold onto the transfer pole next to my bed, and my housekeeper cinches me in, I think of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind and her "mammy" cinching her in! It does provide comic relief! :):):)

Hi All,

thanks for the tips. He hasn't got a large belly, he's a slim Jim! Guys, what is the Home Depot? We did a search and it came up with results for a type of DIY store. Then we tried Home Depot corsets (!) and did not get anything sensible out of that one.

Dani

Home Depot is a box store found all over the US that sells home improvement items and building supplies. The employees wear black velcroed back and torso braces as part of their dress to prevent injuries when hoisting heavy items around. Sorry for not explaining better. :)

Thanks Diane. Dani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back