Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
WI
City
Beaver Dam
Hi Guys.
Just wanted to give an update on Ray. And wanted some input as well.
He was having some issues with his heart racing. The doctor upped his Zoloft. It has calmed slightly, but still bothers him sometimes.
The problem now- every time we feed him anything (PEG), he feels sick to his stomach and gets short of breath. He said there is no pain with the stomach issues, just feels really sick. He said that his stomach is shrinking.
I dont really understand what it could be. He hasnt changed his formula at all.
Times havent changed. Amounts havent changed.
Has anyone had this issue? Its been going on for over a month now.
Thanks.

Liz, I am doing the search, and right now still have more to do--but did read about acid in the stomach causing nausea, and helped by antacids, which worked wonders. Can you grind up some over the counter antacid for Ray and add that to his formula? I also read about using a vitamix to liquify normal food, for feeding rather than canned formula. It appeared that Ray is on formula feeding--is that correct?

Ray's current problem isn't unusual. I wish I could just remember the causes from past threads. I'll go back to the hunt...

I see gallbladder infection is also more prevalent with PEG feeding--an ER trip would be needed with testing. Also, constipation causes nausea and lack of appetite.

Last edited:
I have read that in some people with ALS, the vagus nerve gets hit, causing the stomach not to move food out in a timely manner. It is extra bad with heavy fats. It is called low motility, I think, and they have a test for it. If you show up slow on the test, they put a feeding tube in the top of the intestine instead.

Over time a lot of people develop an alergy to the formula. Try another type or get a Vita-Mix and blend up regular food.

Thanks you guys. Sadiemae just sent me a PM giving me the link to a thread about gallbladder issues with PEGs. I will mention this to Ray right away tomorrow. Im just wondering though, does constipation have to go along with it? He doesnt have any issues with constipation. if anything, he goes a little too much.

Liz, in a search I just did, chronic diarrhea was mentioned as a symptom of chronic gall bladder problem--not "acute". With acute, there is pain. Look up "gallbladder symptoms". I was looking in the University of Maryland Medical Center site.

i dont really understand how to use the search thingy. can someone explain?

Liz, I found symptoms of gall bladder disease by using a search engine on the computer--not here at the site. To search on this site, see the blue bar under the name of your thread, "Any Ideas?", then look toward the right side of this page and click onto "search" in that blue bar.

Ann- I thank you so much. Beky and Joel, thank you too! Im so gratefull that i can come here and get answers so quickly.
Truly lifesavers.
Bless all of you.

Another possibility.. especially if he's having issues with his heart racing.. could it be a breathing issue and not a stomach issue at all? Have his C02 levels been checked? Glen's nausea and vomiting issues frequently had more to do with his breathing

katie- im pretty sure the last time we were in the er with him they were checked and were ok. but i will also mention this to him tomorrow and see what he would like to do. Thanks for the input

My mom would have problems also whenever we fed her any of the canned formula. She would get really bad hot flashes. We started blending her regular food with a lot of liquid and she was able to tolerate it so much better. We have been blending her regular food now for about 2 years and only give a her a jevity once a day blended with other food as a shake.

i guess what i dont understand when it comes to the formula, is how can he be having a bad reaction to it now, and not right off the bat? He's had his PEG for over 5 years. He did change formulas, but that was well over a year or two ago. How does this issue develop?
I told him about the gallbladder thing. I also poked around on the upper right side of his abdomen. he had no pain and no tenderness at all. he has no fever. when he was last in the hospital (not sure how long ago, but it was recent) they did a CBC, and it was good.
He is not having constipation at all. His mom gave him his formula overnight last night instead of him having it during the day. she also is giving him less at one time and spacing out when he gets his pills and water. he said he noticed an improvement, but still didnt feel normal.

Over time you can develop an intolerance to anything. I still think that is what it is - a reaction to the formula.

the thing is joel, it is happening when we give him just water too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back