Post Concussion Syndrome or ALS related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadiemae

Extremely helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
Les fell and suffered a concussion 3 months ago. In the past week, he has had severe headaches and dizziness. The main complaint is, when he lays his head down, he has extreme dizziness. He has suffered Vertigo (Menierres disease) for years, and he says this is different. The symptoms are getting worse. Some symptoms of PCS are present, but he does not have any confusion or memory loss. Just dizziness, headache, insomnia, fatigue and weakness. A trip to the hospital is not something we want to do, as nothing can be done for PCS. Does this seem ALS related to any of you?

Sadiemae,
Sorry to hear about Les. Has he had his blood pressure checked? Any vision change?.
I don't that think it ALS related. Except if he is on vent or bipap?SOmetimes carbon dioxide retention can cause headaches.If nothing relieves the HA's, he should probably see his MD. Sending blessings your way.
Pat

His blood pressure has been on the low side, but nothing out of the normal. These headaches and dizziness are just"different" in his words. No falls in the last 3 months. Only thing was a research trial he did a month ago, that made him dizzy after the one injection of the medicine he got. Think I will call the research manager tomorrow.

You could email Dr Katz too.Hoping for best.
Pat

Talked to the ALS clinic (5 hrs away) and they said he needs to see his local Neuro, and it doesn't sound ALS related, but it is not normal either. The VA Neuro will see us tomorrow, and the Doctor even called me personally, so off we go tomorrow. Probably a CT scan and Brain MRI. Just hope they do not admit him, as they will be admitting me too, because I will not leave him in the hospital alone.

Let us know! Hang in there! And, Good LUCK!

I hope they figure out Les's problem quickly, Lori. Best wishes and prayers, and hope the two of you aren't admitted.
Hugs!

Well, it's not Post Concussion syndrome, but it is related to his fall. It's called benign positional vertigo, and it is not fun. She gave us some pills, meclizne, which is for motion sickness. Basically there are pieces of calcium floating around in his ears and head, and it will take a while for the body to adjust to it.

Last edited:
Lori, I'm glad you know what it is and didn't have to stay in the hospital. Please tell Les how sorry I am for his vertigo. I've had it last over a month from fluid in the ears, and just thinking about it..... very tough. So, very sorry the calcium was loosened and shook into the wrong places.
Hugs with relief....

He has Meinerres already, which he has had for 7 yrs, so now he has double vertigo. This is not an ALS related symptom, but he has it as a result from a fall , due to his ALS. I know a lot of PALS put off getting Powerchairs, and using them. On Thursday he is having the tooth that he cracked in the fall pulled. It has taken us this long to get the VA to approve the dental work. Les is only 45, and will pull through this, but the older you get, the harder it is to recover from falls. We lost Beth from complications from a fall, so EVERYONE, please be careful. Do not put off using or getting your powerchairs! HUGS Lori

Very sorry! Hope the medicine makes him feel better!

als
sucks! And ...

hope the med's work and quickley , wishing you the best

I just remembered to mention that "sea bands" work pretty amazingly well for motion sickness. Placed properly, the disk on your inner wrist interferes with the "vertigo" receptor in the brain. If you wanted to try, maybe Les could benefit from that. They're sold on-line...

I hope the medication is kicking in and that Les is beginning to feel better. Ann's "sea bands" are a great idea as well. They certainly can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back