Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Eastern Shore
I have heard many times that SSDI and Medicare are automatically given to folks with an ALS diagnosis... and I've heard this from people who are considered wise and smart. The truth is... if you were an at-home person not receiving payment (or I suppose a traveling person not receiving payment...) for five out of the last ten years, then you cannot receive either SSDI or Medicare. Now, all you need is about $1,500 per year for that income. But no income equals no Medicare until age (I think) 65, maybe 66.

I've read this information on my statement but was asked to call and let them know I have ALS, and see if it made any difference. It did not. I spoke with a lovely woman who tried very hard to find a way to help me. (I wasn't always a kept woman, but was definitely not a high earner at my best. Ridiculous what the county paid teachers in the 70s, but that's all history.)

I have an employed husband, and he has me covered with insurance. I'm blessed in this way. If I were alone, I could probably get Medicaid... after they took my house, I expect.

I thought this was interesting, because it's not apparently common knowledge. That's why I'm sharing it.

Ann, you are spot on.. I was a stay-at-home mom myself. Just taught fitness class by class. You are spot on, sadly that is exactly how it works. It works on Credit work hours and a formula.. You deserve to be kept always dear lady...

This is exactly why we need some sort of national healthcare. I won't debate what it should be or how it should be managed. The fact is stay-at-home mothers (or fathers) are performing one of the most important jobs there is for the future of this country. Yet when their spouse loses the job, or gets sick or passes away, they are left completely out in the cold. Health insurance should not be tied to employment, no other advanced, civilized society in the world does it this way.

Helloabbas child, Thanks for sharing about SSDI. I just went thru this myself. As a religious sister, I havent worked a paid job in 20 years. Filling out he paper work was a scream because i didnt fit any of the little check boxes, so i created my own. I guess i am considered "God's little housekeeper" ! ! ! Well, at least we can feel good about a few things:
'BLESSED ARE THE POOR' and 'MY KINGDOM IS NOT OF THIS WORLD'.
I love being a part of this ALS Family, since because of my condition I can no longer live in my community.
God bless you and I keep you in my prayers, and ask that you do the same for me, ok?

Sequoia (a Native American name of a great tree, translated: "one who never dies")

Welcome to our forum family. Sorry you have a reason to be here.

I thought if you were disabled for 2 years,you qualified for early Medicare.

Only if you get SSDI (Disability)

Dear Sequoia, I certainly will keep you in my prayers. I hope that although you can't be a part of the community you were in, you are being helped with your physical and medical needs. "Blessed are the poor in spirit" and "My Kingdom is not of this world" are very good truths to cling to.

I do like your user name!
Ann

You also don't get credit for income earned before 22, and that number ratchets up every two years. Given my teenage onset, 23 was my last working year, and 22 my last year full time at the IRS, so soon my credits won't exist at all! The system is crazy.

Beky, Lori, Sequoia, and Joel... Yes, think about it for the caregiving spouse, if you have one who is a full time caregiver--or if you are the full time caregiver out of LOVE not being paid. You will not "be taken care of" even if your spouse paid into the system. Sequoia, I'm sure you were doing "work" even if you weren't paid. We who have working spouses are on their tax claims. Phil pays into the system on my behalf... present tense as well as for the past 33+ years. If you are a caregiving spouse, see if you can't arrange to be paid, and check on this, but I believe it's only about $1,500 per year. That way, you are in the system if needed. I know I've read of someone hiring her sister, and that way the respite care money is given by ALSA to that caregiver. Don't take my word for it, I'm thinking right now as I write.

Beky, this really, really stinks for you, who didn't get credit for your younger working years.

I didn't actually start the thread to complain. As I said, I am blessed by Phil's having the job and benefits. I felt it needed explaining since the reality is not what is commonly perceived. OK, and honestly, I am peeved that my unpaid work is deemed worthless by the government. But then, it's the government. No one said it would be fair.... which is a very good thing. When I called Social Security I wasn't expecting that they would tell me I'm eligible for a penny, but thought it would be foolish not to ask.

The system does indeed suck. The five month waiting time for medicare and benefits is a crime. My husband receives both SSDI and VA benefits, but when he is gone my income will be almost nothing. This fact gives him a reason to fight this disease when he feels like giving up.

Oh, Lori, your situation is exactly what I'm thinking of. I'm so sorry. Now, if there was only a grant to reimburse you for that sum of money needed... you'd have to pay FICA or what have you to be in the system. And not just a lump sum per year. It is, I believe, necessary to work a number of "quarters", as H4C alluded to above. If you could work a part time job and pay someone else if necessary to be with Les so that you'd have your time into the system... I'm thinking as I type. It is crazy... Another thought that is new to me: My local ALSA has grant money for up to $1500/year. We would need to (after filling out the paper work which was emailed to me) send an invoice to the grant folks and they would reimburse us for the payment we made to the respite worker. Does this sound like something that could help you, Lori? I don't know about the rules here, and I do know that this is a grant only within the area my local ALSA covers. Perhaps you could talk with your Coordinator?

Hello Sequoia,
You will find a lot of helpful friends on this forum. Sorry we have to meet under these conditions.
God Bless Wayne

hi all . . the changes that obama brought in to your healthcare . . Will it make any difference in this? Dont really get much coverage this side of the pond ?

Ann, I have worked, and am in the system. If I were to become disabled now I would get SSDI. Staying out of the work force indefinately would hurt me eventually if I were to become disabled before I turn 65. I do however have insurance through the VA until I am old enough to get Medicare. I am 52 now, so Les needs to keep his progression in the SLOW mode! HUGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back