Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Eastern Shore
Well, to answer my own main question, my typing directly onto the laptop is fine for the rest of the year. I had wondered if this was the time to begin learning some new way to communicate, but really was made to feel that there's no need at this time. My ever weakening voice hopefully can get a loaned amplifier from the ALSA loan closet, as the ability to speak loudly has diminished since May. Weight hasn't changed, based on asking questions. Until I can tell them the weight of my chair, they cannot tell me what I weigh. The chair tops 300 pounds, so I don't feel like guessing; it could be depressing. And I realize this is silly. Since my first visit in March, I've been told they "could" weigh me but the means is across the building or some such excuse. The Pulmonary Tech would like to have a better reality check, but he goes with the flow just as I do.

We talked a lot about the mechanics of swallowing, and for me the tucked chin while facing straight ahead is best...thanks IrisMarie. I let them know my friend in France had given me that tip. This wouldn't be true for everyone. If one side of the mouth was weaker, turning the head (I believe) toward that weak side is best. My swallowing is actually pretty good/nearly good and not a problem. Neither is breathing. The decline remains slow.

I won't be seen again until January due to insurance denying any more therapy visits this year. We'll change companies in November, but wait until January for the actual change to occur. Today's visit, I knew, had to cover questions about my voice changes as well as arms and hands.

Otherwise, I learned that the Pulmonary Dr. undresses women better than he dresses us. He told me so. And I learned that Phil can not only put a bra on me, he can also take it off without removing my tank top, due to something called topology. I was impressed, but I suspect this is a talent owned by many men.:cool: I don't think Phil learned this from me, so it's old knowledge. Really old.:wink:

Thank you all who wished me well today, and who wondered along with me if I didn't need a different way to communicate. I very much appreciate it!

Love,
Ann

Ann
This all sounds like good news to me! Im very glad for this. Also glad to hear youve found a way to make swallowing easier on you, as that is pretty important. And no breathing problems? Now that is just terrific!
As for Phil being able to take your bra off while leaving your shirt on- well, that sounds like talent to me and by that alone, id say he's a keeper :)
Really happy to hear it went so well for you.

Sounds like you had a long tiring day...I hope you get some rest tonight.

Ann,

It had to be an exhausting day for you.

I've never doubted that your Phil is talented, he snagged you after all 8) (I've never had a man actually admit to being able to actually put one on me, I think its a similar skill to fastening necklaces, but with the added hurdle that there is no desire to succeed)

IMHO I think someone needs to be a little bit more proactive monitoring your breathing. Didn't you say you are cough challenged? Really.

I've broken 2 microphones to my voice amplifier... just a word to the wise. The wires are not industrial strength.

Its always good news to learn that progression is slow. :) But, I sense you were wanting a bit more help.

Annie, glad you can still use the laptop! You go girl!

Please be careful with that swallowing! Did they do a barium swallow test? That will show if you have a "flap" problem, which may allow stuff into your lungs.

Brahaha! "Charade you are..." Just be a hippie and burn it!

YouTube - Pink Floyd - Pigs (Three Different Ones)

Ann, sounds like you had a full day! By the way - why did the pulmonary guy have to undress you? Mine didn't yesterday -- just had me do all those exhausting breathing tests completely clothed. Perhaps I might have scored better without a bra! Ummmm, I wonder.

Hope you sleep well tonight and are full of energy coins on the morrow.

Hugs with my love,

Diane

Rose (Diane), if the ALSA has the device I'll let Phil know he's going to be repair guy for it--thanks for the tip. And, they do know about my cough and sneeze disability. Actually, Phil did the "Ann" sneeze as well as the cough for them to hear. There is change, but not alarmingly. I hadn't asked for last May's numbers to be written down and unfortunately didn't hear it correctly. I am not worried. It's still okay. I'm more of a "want to know" than a "what to do" sort.

Ladyinn (Diane), the doctor had his stethoscope, and used it to hear my every sound. He was pulling up the clothes to get to me...but laughed while trying to replace them. Sigh.

CJ, the Speech Pathologist really is good. She watched me swallow, had me push against a tongue depressor to check that part out. We discussed when to drink and when not to drink (if something is stuck, drink; if you're choking don't drink).

Liz, his talents are quite diverse. And thank you all--Joni, yes I am tired.

I appreciate your report on today's clinic visit. Please give my kind regards to Phil. He is a gifted man!

Hi Ann, I hope you have had a good rest, by the time you read this.
Phil is indeed a talented man. All i could do back long ago was to remove a bra, didn't see the requirement to learn how to replace it :lol:

cheers
Peter

:smile: Overall, good news Ann. I was keeping an eye as I was aware your appt was coming up. Glad the progression remains slow. Regards, Dani

Ann
Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad things went OK. Tell Phil he is an inspiration to all us guy CALS. Serena thinks its funny that after 27 years of marriage it took ALS for me to get the whole one handed bra release thing down (never was very talented in that area) but I still get her sports bras on inside-out half the time :) Seren's PT shared the chin tuck technique with her at our last visit as well and it does seem to help. Get some rest today.

Ann sounds like it was a good appt. day, tiring i am sure. I will have my first clinic visit at the end of October. Bless you today and always.

Glad to hear that things aren't progressing fast. Keep up the typing Ann! Your Phil certainly is talented!;) Glad you got such a wonderful man.

Ann, I am glad that you had a good clinic visit. I always consider it a good clinic day if there is nothing much new to discuss. I am glad that your swallowing and breathing are still good and that your progression is slow.

Have you looked at E-triloquist for your laptop? If your typing is good it could help even if it is just to give your voice a rest.

As far as the topology of undressing women is concerned I found the following on Wikipedia

"The motivating insight behind topology is that some geometric problems depend not on the exact shape of the objects involved, but rather on the way they are put together"

Sounds like Phil has figured out how you are put together :lol::lol:

You are such a hoot, Barry. Yes, he had that good old twinkle in his eye as he gave me examples of topology...one sided paper, a bottle either having no inside surface or outside. He certainly knows how I'm put together as well as how to entertain me. We learned early on it wasn't with calculus. He's very quiet until he starts.... hahaha. I refused to learn calculus, but physics can be interesting. I don't know where topology is filed.

E-triloquist...Thank you, Barry. I've bookmarked it and will look further into it. I do, actually, keep track of anything I see you and others write about here at the forum and then I hunt down websites, and bookmark.

You're absolutely right about the clinic visits, Barry. When the Neuro has to spend his time talking about youtube's Annoying Orange, I'm just glad I don't need him and insurance will be paying... in that order. The PT has actually stated that unless I run into unexpected trouble, we don't really have anything to cover anymore. It's nice that the clinic is finished in less time as I have no need for these folks. So, as always in the world of medicine, boring is extremely good. We do NOT want to be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back