Diagnosis
07/2010
Country
UK
State
merseyside, England
City
St helens
Since i got diagnosed my main problems have been in my right arm, loss of strenght in my fingers,hand and lots of twitching in my upper arm. In the last week or so ive noticed the twitching going into my upper left arm, and more worringly a constant aching feeling in both my legs.
I still work 5 mornings a week in a factory constantly on my feet, I have also been doing quite a lot of different things inbetween, like a wedding i went to last week, a day at the horses and a fair amout of driving, so is it possible the it is fatigue? or are things progressing to my legs? Im also finding that i sometimes get the cramps in my right foot.

Thanks, Chris.

Hi Chris - Well, unfortunately, as you know, it is just a matter of time before it moves into your legs. Everyone's experience is different, so it is hard to say in your case what exactly is happening. For me, my first symptoms were in my speech and my right hand, but very slight. A month post diagnosis, last Labor Day, I ran a half marathon, 13.1 miles. However I felt quite fatigued by the end of the race and never fully recovered. I got back to some easy jogging but no more distance runs. By November I had to give up running and start using a cane. Now I am in a wheelchair almost all the time. Oddly, I can still talk pretty understandably, even though that was my first symptom.

So in my case, yes, the first symptoms in my legs were excessive fatigue. Also I think in retrospect maybe I should not have pushed so hard and taken things easier. My hard workouts seemed to speed up my progression.

Hal's right on target as I see it. Fatigue (and stress) are often the cause of the first symptoms in a new area for me, also. Because your diagnosis was just in August, I feel sure you've had a lot of stress, Chris. The good news is that by slowing down your activity and trying to take it easier, your legs may well settle back down for quite a while. I'm reversed from you in that I began with one leg, then the other... and the cramps and twitching went up my trunk finally into my upper arms. But Chris, from the time I experienced the first weakness until the time I had significant loss in an area was quite a long time; a year or more. My first weakness was late in '04. Please try, and as much as is possible, get rest and space your activities apart to the degree that you aren't exhausted.
Ann

Thanks for your help :) and thank you Ann for making me realise I had put the wrong month of my diagnosis lol it was the 8th, but that was the day not the month! It was July I got diagnosed.

I imagine the diagnosis has made your sense of time whacky. I find that time is flying by very quickly. Chris, I hope you can take things easier and get some needed rest.
All the best to you,
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back