Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CT
City
lyme
I have been diagnosed with early ALS. My arms are very weak and my shoulders have atrophy. My neuro said seem to have a slow progressing form of ALS and might have 10 years left. I hope he's right.

I recently injured my neck tripping on a sidewalk. I aggrevated an old whiplash injury so I don't think it is ALS related.

If I have a bone spur or herniated disc, is it worth it to have Anterior Cervical Fusion? I can't hold my head up very well. Has anyone had this surgery?

My husband was going to get a Lumbar Radio frequency Rhysotomy to numb the neves in his back to help relieve his back pain, and our Neuro said NO WAY, just not safe, and it would not work for a PALS. What does your Neuro say? Is your ALS considered UMN dominant ALS, which seems to have a slower progression, with a 7 to 12 yr prognosis, instead of the 3 to 5 yr. HUGS My husband(age 45) has degenertive disc disease, as well as a bulging disc in his neck.

I have had a 2 level cervical fusion and bone graft. It has turned out OK, but really apart from radicular pain going, I really can still not do the vigorous stuff I want. I still get just as many headaches as before. I really should not have gone ahead, but I thought it was causing my arm weakness. It was almost 3 years ago and now I know that the arm weakness was caused by this ? slow form of MND or PLS that they say I may have.
My husband is a Doctor and he sees more problems post this type of surgery than before. The decision should not be taken lightly.

It has caused me to have problems above my plate, which I did not have before.

In summary, unless you have months of relentless pain after non steroidal treatment or you have spinal stenosis causing problems elsewhere in your body, do not have a fusion

Hope this helps
Aly

Jason,

I don't have ALS, but I've had 5 such operations over the last 20 years. Are you in pain? Is your doctor certain that your problem is related to a spur or herniation? Has you had an MRI showing a spur or impingement?

My only advice, based on experience is this. More than most orthopedic surgeries, the outcome of a cervical fusion is strongly correlated with the skill level of the surgeon. If you decide to have the surgery, get the most experienced surgeon possible and check out his record and reputation. Make sure he has done over 50 such surgeries. The failure rate is very high. Have you tried other remedies like cortisone injections, physical therapy, traction, etc?

Stu

I had mine done with a neurosurgeon rather than orthopaedic surgeons. Orthopods seem to operate on anything, Neurosurgeons are a little more selective and I figure very very steady hands.
So yes get another opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back