charlottecorday

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
texas
City
dallas
I just wanted to get some help with what is and has been getting to be more progressively severe problem.Walking!My left leg(the dirty EMG one) is atrophied more, and I don't know how I'm going to get around on one leg.I suspect this is just a personal problem I'm going to have to deal with.I was just wondering if anyone has any information regarding calf protection,light braces or shields, anything to protact this ,some company or site where I could order a support of some kind.If anyone has dealt with a similar issue, how have you done it.Thanks for any help anyone can provide,if there is anything I can do.My knee is hurting because it's bearing a lot of weight.I wish this was my only problem,but I'm trying to deal with one thing at a time. I appreciate any personal experience or suggestions, it's just that I know things are not fixable.

My husband has started wearing a brace on his right knee because of weakness. He has a hard time bearing weight on it - even with the walker. The brace has "bones" in it for stability.

We have the "Roylan B.I.G (back in game) knee braces. They are available from Sammons Preston. Look under Orthopedics, then knee braces, it is on page 6 He has had knee problems for many years, and has had many braces, and this is by far the BEST! He wears one on each leg, and they give him great support. At first he only had one, and while we were waiting for the other one to arrive, he took a nasty tumble when his leg gave out. He thinks he would not have fallen if he had been wearing one on each leg.

I'm assuming this is all on the internet.Thank you both.I'm up for any and all options.

Charlotte, I found that by the time I needed the brace (AFO), I was really due to begin with a cane, quickly followed by the rollator walker. I did fall a lot, and also had swollen hurting knees by the time I succumbed to using a power chair. The knees recovered in time. I'd use the aids far earlier, however, if I were to do over.

My husband was already using the walker when he got the knee braces. Without them, he would be in the wheelchair.

Hi Charlotte, I don't know what is causing your leg problems, but my leg problems are due to weakness, not really pain or swelling. ALS started with toe cramps 27 months ago and I can still stand if I lean on something and I can lurch behind a rollator in one room. Can't you go to an orthopedist to see if he/she can diagnose your condition? I tried that at first because I was very adverse to believing it might be something as horrid as ALS.

Good luck!
Carol

Missy darling, It is far far far better in the wheelchair than hobbling around taking risks and straining already weak muscles. power hchairs mean liberty and even fun.

I'm starting to believe it is better not to exercise.My legs hurt too bad.I guess I am straining weak muscles.I don't know.I'm going back in october for my fourth EMG.
thanks for the advice.

Charlotte, I think I can relate perhaps to your present predicament. I tried hard to continue exercising and walking. I even bought women's army boots, and had them rigged to pull the toe up so I wouldn't trip (it didn't work). I did Pilates and used free weights for arms and shoulders and back muscles, and slowly learned to just stretch the legs and quit walking. I did use the stationary recumbent bike for my legs. Then I sort of went into a funk, feeling so exhausted all the time... but at first I believed I had a pinched nerve in that leg which was growing back, which is what my first Neuro thought: compression due to crossing legs causing footdrop. Then, one EMG in, and no diagnosis there was more waiting. Well, during this time of waiting, I let things go inside the house. By the time I did get the ALS diagnosis, I had loads of organizing to do. We even ended up moving to a different house, in order to have handicap helps, like a roll in shower. I never did clean out the closets, the desk drawers, and organize things properly. I can't just ask my helpers to "go and find such and such" because of the disorganization. I didn't box up family heirlooms for my nieces or brothers... which would go to them and be used rather than sit around.

Please don't strain weak muscles. Use your strength to get things in order (unless, unlike me you're organized), think about planning how you'd reach the things you use regularly, or how you'd change the kitchen and bathroom, etc. to make them easier. The earlier you think about it the faster it should be to put into place. If you don't have MND, you can enjoy a well organized house and forget those plans requiring changes.

Your fourth EMG. I am sorry--it's the pits.

Last edited:
Hey Limpy
Its your ugly mug cyber freaky friend. My neuro said I have had so many that I can do the next one myself. Ha Ha he has a good sense of humour. I just wish he would stick some of the needles in hubby so he knows what it feels like. Am I not wicked :roll:

Here's something funny that may cause some laughs. One of the neuros that hubby works with (hubby is the boss honcho here), had some fasciculations one night . He was terrified after just this one episode that he gave himself an EMG the next day, now that takes something. It just shows you that they are terrified of MND as well.

One of the neurologists in Sydney died of MND a few years ago :(

Puts a human face on it don't you think?

Don't strain those legs too much. I read something that the neurologist with MND said.... he said that exercise is good, but not to the point where it causes pain, so take it gently.

Bye Hun
Aly

Thanks for your thoughtful replies, Aly and Abbas Child.

Gosh Aly, We need to start a CEU program on "self-administration of the EMG".

Brain nuke me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back