Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Barbara
I picked up the LA Times this morning and saw a box at the bottom of the front page, highlighting stories that will appear tomorrow in the Sunday edition. One story was "Giving Yourself to Science - ALS patient's body may hold clues to help others in the future". Above it was a picture I recognized. It was BethU from the forums, and her husband Paul.

New members won't remember Beth, who died this spring, but she was a beloved and inspiring member of the forum, full of wit and spirit. Fran and I had a chance to meet her briefly a few weeks before she died. We showed up at her house and dropped off some printouts of forum members expressing their love. It was a real shock when she passed, she had seemed to be doing pretty well when we saw her.

Beth donated her body to science. It is through such donations that many of the most important breakthroughs in ALS research have come, including the recent discoveries of the key role played by a protein called TDP-43.

The article is now available online, but I don't know if non-subscribers can read it. If not, maybe try again tomorrow, or go to the front page of the LA Times website and search for ALS.

In death, a promise for the future - latimes.com

Last edited:
Hal,

That is so powerful. An incredible write up. I'm sitting here bawling, missing Beth all over again, but man! she sure knew how to make an exit. Not only did so many many love her dearly, but she truly sought to make a difference.

thank you so much for supplying this link.

hi hal.
the link does work.
i did read a bit but found myself in tears and could not face reading about the autopsy.
beth was a beautifull vibrant lady and this article hit home how much i miss her,but would like to remember her as she was .
sorry but i personally found it hard to read,thankyou though.

I didn't know Beth, but what an amazing woman! I'm so sorry I didn't have a chance to chat with her. That was a beautifully written article. Thank you for sharing it. I wish I could thank Beth for the gift she has given to those still left fighting this dreadful disease. As long as there is research, there is hope.

Was truly a tough read but she certainly deserved the honor! Brave, wonderful, wonderful woman!

Thank you for sharing the link.

that was a beatuiful.the only way beth could write it if it was her. she had a way of saying things herself.i miss her spirte on the fourm.i will always remember her. love wanda and glenxoxoxox

Excellent story about a damn fine lady. She is missed by many.

AL.

Yes, she certainly is missed! She was an exceptional lady.

Thank you, Hal. It was hard to read. She was such an extraordinary woman, and as Wanda said, it was written so much the way she, herself wrote. I really appreciate having this to read. Having no tissues, my sheet is now wet. Beth made a difference by being herself. The donation of her body to UCLA is just a "tip".

Thanks Hal, was very hard to read. Not quite as many jokes with her dry wit as she would of put in. Miss her greatly.

Thanks Hal. I also had a very hard time reading about the autopsy. I sure do miss Beth a lot. She died just a couple of weeks before my dad died this Spring. That was a very sad time.

Beth was one of the very first people on this forum to reach out to me and I will never forget her. She was a brilliant writer, a gifted artist and probably the wisest person I've every had the privilege of knowing. We shared a love of the show Lost, and I'm kind of glad that the ending didn't answer any of our burning questions. It's nice knowing she didn't miss anything!

Miss you, Beth! xo

Thanks, Hal!

"Elizabeth Uyehara was now a portrait of proteins, sugars, phosphates and amino acids, and they belonged to the future, a story waiting to be told."

Although, this is not what was meant by the author of the news story, she really deserves to have a novel written, based on her life, portraying her heroic effort to live along with her effortless talent of wit.

Obviously, she has touched many lives, to have such a poignant article written about her and her last "hoorah!"

Here's to you, Beth! You still resonate throughout the forum and the world!

Miss you BETH, I loved the way she & Stu went at each other,God Bless everyone.
Sharon

Thanks for sharing this Hal!

Marvelous write-up!

Beth was a wonderful lady.

I really miss Beth so much! She was such an inspiration..and hilarious. She was always able to bring a smile to my face through her writing. Miss you Beth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back