Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
XX
City
where it's green
Just talked to my brother, recently diagnosed, and he said he "hasnt' felt right" all day. His neck
muscles are getting tired, and he says he feels buzzed, almost like he's high on something.
No new meds. Had BP checked, was okay. Said he is having episodes of lightheadedness, like
something is wrong somehow.

The nurse is going to go check on him, and check his oxygen level. (I suggested checking it altho he
hasn't had any issues with breathing)

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Check all side effects of medication, check BP when he has not been moving around, does he have any ringing in his ears or loss of appetite?
What are the names of his meds?

usually has a loss of appetite
meds: metformin and fibertol (or something like that for cholesterol) blood pressure med, antidepressant

talking on the phone now with him.....another "wave of dizziness". Bp was 143 over 93. They gave him acetominiphin and paged the dr

Metformin is for type 2 diabetes. His dizziness could be from low blood sugars. Get him to test his blood next time he has a spell.

AL.

They took him to the hospital ER yesterday, were running a few tests and admitted him,
at least overnight so far.

He wants an MRI but they don't want to do it, because if, "he has ALS" why
bother, was the impression I got.

Well, just because he has ALS, it doesn't mean there isn't something else going on that may be "treatable!"

I believe ALS is not "Cureable" but it is "Treatable"

Yeah, just wish the neuros would agree it was treatable. We are thinking about firing the research doc and going back to the original neuro that diagnosed him or even the GP, as we can't get any prescriptions for "symptoms." Isn't that called treatment?

So true. Our old Neuro at the ALS clinic here in Reno was very fatalistic. We are now going to San Fran(Forbes Norris ALS Center) and they DO believe it is treatable. We are leaving here at 3 am to drive there tomorrow for Les to partake in his first research trial. Come back to Reno on Tues afternoon, then back up there on Friday, then back again next Monday, and it is done. It is about a 4 hour drive. Tomorrow will be 8 hrs at the clinic, then they are putting us up in a nice (I hope) hotel. The next 2 visits will only take an hour.

Good luck tomorrow, Les and Lori!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back