Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Greenbrae
Although I disagree, my BF is not ready for a wheelchair so he has been using a cane to get around. (He was diagnosed a year and 1/2 ago). The problem is at night when he needs to get up 3 times to use the toilet. He is very wobbly and has fallen down on his way to the bathroom. I'm now either lying in bed worried while he makes his way or I'm up assisting him each time. Does anyone else have this problem and how are they dealing with it? I think its time for a walker...

It is time for a walker. Not only for his safety but what if he falls on you, breaking something on you so that you can't help him.

AL

Tande,

There are a lot of different options out there besides just a standard walker. I had purchased a rollator walker for Mom when she couldn't get by with the cane anymore. Again, several options out there... Ours had springs on the back two wheels w/feet (like the end of the cane). Anytime you put any pressure on the handles, it would push the feet to the floor so it wouldn't roll out from under you. It took little pressure to lower the feet, so it wasn't that difficult, and she felt safe using it. Different models have hand brakes instead, but we knew they would become difficult to use over time.

With such a variety out there, it may be easier to talk him into taking a look at a few of them. Happy hunting!

Hi Tande,

My hubby was also Dx 1 1/2 years ago. He is also not interested in using a walker....so he has his shoes near the bed with AFO's inside--great carbon fiber ones and slips them on to head to the bathroom. Otherwise, and most often, if he drank water after 7pm and has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, a handy, empty, apple juice bottle does the trick--easy, slick, and emptied in the am. Works great in the garage as well for those times when you just don't feel like heading up the stairs one more time! Hope this helps.

Marie's advice is great... but so is Chris's for the rollator. The walkers without wheels are very bad with this disease, and those with only small wheels aren't much better. As I had no hand/arm problems at the time, I used a rollator with locking brakes, a seat and a basket in front. I sat on the seat many times. I was pushed around while on that seat before I was able to use a wheelchair all the time.

You really should not be trying to help him during the night, Tande, as Al pointed out... and he, hopefully will agree to the bottle urinal idea.... or a plastic pitcher with a handle. Something lightweight is good, and a lid would be nice. Smile.

Best wishes, Ann

Tande... I'm in San Jose, and have a rollator that isn't being used taking up space in my garage, along with a lightweight transport wheelchair. If you are interested in either, PM me and maybe we can meet somewhere in the middle.

Thank you! I will keep that in mind when he is ready!

It is time for a walker. Not only for his safety but what if he falls on you, breaking something on you so that you can't help him.

AL
Thank you. It is comforting to have you here watching over all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back