Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
Does medicare buy the wheelchair, or rent it? Thanks!

I am pretty sure that medicare will pay 80% of all durable goods.

Thats right Kelly, and at the ALS clinic the other day, the MDA guy said that it is very possible that the MDA will start helping out again in 2011. Last time they cut it off, it was only for one year, so here's hoping.

Phil,

Medicare PAYS for it. If you can't afford the co-pay, fill out the paperwork to qualify for medically/financially needy. No shame in that, after all, it costs more than a damn luxury car!

My husband got the chair from the Custom Rehab vendor that visits Emory. In my opinion, you should be able to really test drive the chair. You might get 2 minutes after the dog and pony show from the rep. This is going to be your vehicle to get around. Take it very seriously.

My husband hates the way the leg/foot plates are situated. Don't take the word of the rep that they will do something about it after you have the chair. He also hates the arm rests, as his arms fall off. WTF? Promises, promises...

We were just told what to get, didn't question it, were just happy to get it so soon after his DX. We had our chair 5 weeks after his DX. The rep told us not to worry about paying what medicare and the MDA didn't cover. Now we have found out that this is not the right chair for him, it is too small. He has a permobile 300, and he needed a 400 or 500. The new ALS clinic is going to get us a new back(higher) for us I think. Les never even saw the chair before it was delivered. We also told the wheelchair guy that we were getting VA approval, so we wanted it to go through the VA, and not Medicare, but he told us just to do it with Medicare(so he would get a commission) The VA has since "adopted" the chair, so we are pretty much stuck with it. We only found out Monday it wasn't the right chair, but had concluded before that, that the "wheel chair guy" was only lining his pockets, and not doing us a favor as we originally thought.

Both with my loaner chair and then purchased chair, the rep told me he (different person for the two chairs) would personally be here when it was delivered. Didn't happen, and in both cases, the techs who brought the chairs knew only about the joysticks. The electronics, I'm sure, are their only personal interest. In the combined cases, I told one that yes, the arms could be lowered for me, Phil showed him how to do it and helped. Phil stopped one from destroying the legs which didn't operate correctly, Phil later fixed the problem, etc. The headrest on my purchased chair broke the first time I used it, but fortunately, once again, Phil adjusted it so that it supports my head. I've been waiting since May to have my joystick configured so that I have more than one speed going forward (but I can jet backwards in four speeds, non of which is slow), and since March to have a usable joystick, which is when the original "died" after 10 months.

PhilM, make them "do it right". I plan to call once again today and I have the cell number for the tech. Then we will go to Corporate level and skip the local rep. I won't do it. I have, however, a very articulate husband who will fight. Oh, my chair is Invacare, and the seller is "Chesapeake Rehab". I will be glad to tell anyone what they've done.

Hi Anne,

What a nightmare you've had with the WC. I'll remember that when I get fitted for mine. I misread the the name of your chair supplier as "Cheapskate Rehab". Maybe that would be a better name anyway.

John

John, the oddest part is that I really LIKE the chair...the way it fits me, the single footplate, the way I can recline and tilt so that my feet are higher than my head (have to drain the blood back out of my feet from time to time!). And if Phil only had the electronics experience and the tool to use, he'd keep me going very well. However, I sure can't recommend anything this unreliable to anyone else.

I've called the store and got a runaround after the above post. Called the tech's cell phone and left a message. Forgive the rant. I hate being so negative. If this turns around, I'll post that, to be fair.

I do like "Cheapskate Rehab". Apt name!

Ann

These sure aren't the things I want to hear. My Medicare should be starting in about a month, now that they have things straightened out, and I have already been fitted for a chair, Permobil C300. According to the rep Medicare will not approve a group 4 or 5 chair, which is what the Permobil C400 and C500 are. I not concerned about the chair it self, everything I've read rates it as one of the best chairs, my concern is with service and repair. I think I'm going to shop around and find out who has local service and a loaner should mine need to go into the shop.

As for Medicare and VA I would say go with VA if you can. A friend of mine who is a disabled vet got a great outdoor chair, Omega Tracker, through the VA, 100% paid for. Medicare will not even consider these chairs because all they care about is your ability to get around inside your home, not outside.

Jim

Jim, Permobile is what I'd get if I were doing this over again... I've heard better things about the reliability. But that center mount for legs is wonderful. I highly recommend it... and being able to recline/tilt/ legs up all to a very high degree. It takes all weight off the butt, incidentally, a very good thing. I can also move forward as well as backward in that position, due to removing some of the sensors. I need to recline with legs up to get (backward) onto the van lift... which I do not recommend, but being "do it yourselfers" was the inexpensive way to travel. Phil installed a used lift himself into a full sized van. He must have thought there would be an easier entry than it is. It draws a crowd at the hospital to watch... red face here.

I read "Cheapskate Rehab" too. Thanks for all of the info and Ann I think we need pictures of you getting into the van :smile::smile:

LOL, Barry. I keep myself covered, so modesty isn't an issue... so far. I think they're placing bets, though, on my making it in, in such a complex way. It reminds me a lot of the rototiller Phil bought me, "the Horse"... also nearly, but not quite impossible, drawing the attention of neighbors.

Bob is here working right now on my chair... who needs a name, I think. "Rose Bud"? Feel free to help with the naming. Anyway, what happened was I got empty promises until yesterday, when while I was getting another of the same, Phil took the phone from me and in a powerful voice (mine is now very weak sounding) told the nice woman how dangerous it is for me to be flying backwards onto the van lift, and I have an ALS Clinic coming up... That word "dangerous" when applied to (as Phil told her quite truthfully) a problem left unresolved by them since March, seemed to get her attention. She said Bob would be here today just after noon. Instead, it was 4:30, but that hardly matters. I guess they just don't want to be sued if I hit the ground under the chair's weight. It's still one sorry story. I hear Phil bringing it up on the lift... will try it out!

Last edited:
OH Ann, You have had a time with this mess. I surely hope it is cleared up and you don't have to call Boob, oh, I mean Bob back again.:roll:

Judy

Last edited:
After trying to deal with medicare to get a chair for my mom and getting the run around, I contacted the scooter store. They are great to talk to and got things back on track for my mom. They deal with medicare directly so we don't have the added stress of that. My mom will hopefully have her chair in a few weeks.

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back