Diagnosis
12/2006
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Swanton
I am a 56 y. O. man with full blown ALS. DX 5 years ago . I have decided against a feeding tube and an invasive (trach) ventilator . I know some people struggle with this type of decision. Some people are unaware that the uninvasive option is available. Just wanted some other patients thoughts. I am going to go as long as the N. I. will take me and then I'm done. The positive pressure system has kept me going much longer then a bi-pap would have. With the support of my family they understand that I
do not want to live like it would leave me. quality of life is a very personal decision.

You don't want to hear my thoughts as you seem to be convinced that you can't have quality of life with a trache and vent.

What is a "noninvasive ventilator"?

A Bipap is a positive pressure system. What other type do you have?

AL.

BIlevel Positive Air Pressure. Vpap from what I've been told is like a second generation Bipap. More bells and whistles but a Bipap just the same.

These are all new terms to a lot of us. My dad is being tested for a bi-pap but the pulmonologist (from the 2nd opinion) suggested a VPAP, and I also hear that a trach vent offers longevity. I get the idea of the bipap, but does anyone know the difference. If someone has the trach can they still speak and eat regular food?

Thanks
Raul

so everybody has to feel as you do or they are wrong? I this was a forum? there are other options and point of views. You sound bitter joel. Your correct ALS doesn't have to be fatal but quality of life is also a persons right to determine. I respect your right to choose, respect mie. You have no idea what it takes to get me through a day.

Yes, Raul, I ate and spoke for 2 years after getting my trache. It is only recently that I have progressed enough I can't do either.

As I understand the difference between a bipap and Vpap, they are the same. Resmed patented the bipap name so no one else could use it so other companies called theirs a Vpap. It stands for Variable. Bipap means bi level. Same thing.

Without my trache and vent I would have died several years ago.

Joel,

Thanks AGAIN for your wisdom and willingness to share!

Raul

I too am being fitted for a manual ventilator, which I will receive at my September rehab clinic visit. I debated my perceived pros and cons of the vent and when my pulmologist said it was an option for me it fit into my plans for the future.

I sleep with my bipap.

Glen

Raul, VPAP and BiPap are the same, just do not do CPap, as that is bad for most PALS. As Joel just said! Joel is the most NON bitter person I have ever come across . Glen, what is a "manual ventilator"?

I went through a clinical trial l with U Of MICHigan last year and it is a regular ventilator useing my nose instead of trach hole. I am sure this may not be for all ALS but it is new.

so everybody has to feel as you do or they are wrong? I this was a forum? there are other options and point of views. You sound bitter joel. Your correct ALS doesn't have to be fatal but quality of life is also a persons right to determine. I respect your right to choose, respect mie. You have no idea what it takes to get me through a day.

I am sorry if I somehow offended you. Too many people have been told there is no quality of life on a ventilator. I have said repeatedly that what I have done is not for everyone but you can have a very good quality of life. I do respect your right to think different. But I am living proof there is another side to living with a vent that they never tell you.

well if he is not bitter then be open to new treatment's

remember we are in the same boat

You should not ask for other peoples thoughts if you will be offernded if they dffier from yours . I am very sorry you took offense to mine. I meant you no direspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back